Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false
priceless
Old 07-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Supporting someone doesn’t mean I have to think like you (or even like how you think). This is a common mistake, another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false

I can disagree with your reasoning all I want and still support you and your decisions to leave Avid as a customer

It’s not an if and only type of support
Spoken like a true professional!
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Supporting someone doesn’t mean I have to think like you (or even like how you think). This is a common mistake, another one is that I have to hate you b/c your opinion is different than mine. This is also false

I can disagree with your reasoning all I want and still support you and your decisions to leave Avid as a customer

It’s not an if and only type of support
That's good News!

Peace!
Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 PM

Late to the party, but I just registered on the DUC to voice my frustrations.

PT user since v6 (original Mbox). Certified back on v7. Workflow HEAVILY ingrained, especially editing.

I also teach music production, and I lean heavily on PT and encouraged students to purchase their own licenses after they no longer have access to our computer lab -- whether DIY artists or budding professionals, knowledge of PT is beneficial.

I am now slightly embarrassed for having passed along these motivations to students -- those who bought PT per my suggestion will almost certainly feel duped whether they pay double the cost, feel forced to shift to the subscription model, or even unwittingly crossgrade without realizing the consequences of relinquishing their perpetual license (we can all admit the entire process is convoluted and may easily confuse some). Yes, they are young adults and can make their own decisions -- but they look to me for guidance and I feel badly if they are locked into this ecosystem when it may no longer work for them financially. I honestly want to know the percentage of all PT users who still don’t even realize this change has transpired. One email in this short of time frame is not sufficient for such a substantial change.

What an unbelievably foolish decision for Avid to double-down on the subscription route, and jack up the price to boot. I am likely to stop using PT in the classroom because this model is simply unsustainable for individuals and institutions alike. Even if the multiseat licensing (prices for which are not openly available) is affordable for my campus or we splurge and buy perpetual licenses for all of our computers before that option vanishes (because Avid), I refuse to foster this model for the next generation of music makers.

For my own needs, I didn’t shell out the $99 price for future years -- though I considered it all week. A modest increase (e.g. $120 annually) would not have been a huge deal. But when I reconsidered the drastic increase in price, the ROI, the unprofessional nature of the announcement (2 weeks notice), conflicting answers to the same questions on various website FAQs… this company has absolutely no idea how to function properly and owns a warped vision of the future. I’ll ride out the updates through the end of my current plan (late December) and park my system on 2019.x. Maybe the best way to stick it to Avid is to squeeze every last drop out of the license I already paid for, while they make no more $$ off of my efforts.

As for switching to another DAW right now, I don’t see the point…
Logic editing is cumbersome.
S1 does nothing for me, even with the ported shortcuts.
Cubase is too deep to learn from scratch.
Reaper is just, meh.
Ableton Live development has heavily focused on Push integration and doesn’t suit me anymore.
Bitwig is intriguing, but it isn’t quite there yet — the cluttered browser leads to a poor workflow.

When my system bites the dust years from now, I’ll probably just switch to Reason full time -- as an electronic musician, I really ENJOY using Reason. I guess I can hope Propellerhead eventually revamps the audio editing to be closer to what PT provides… because even if Avid’s move is a colossal disaster, I can’t see them being financially forced to downsize and sell off PT to a developer willing to invest in the platform to do right by a (formerly) loyal user base.

It sucks watching a giant fall… but my popcorn will taste better with a perpetual license.

rjb

P.S. Fully intend to see this deal rolled out again for Black Friday.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:02 PM

Hi, welcome to the community.

You don't have to feel sorry about policy decisions made by Avid, just keep on teaching the students with the best platform out there. I'm sure those who have garage bands value every dollar in their pocket but someone making money later will appreciate PT training just as much in the coming years as before.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Pretty standard when you’re playing catch up.
Are you suggesting that Logic is playing catch up to Pro Tools? Perhaps in market share, but certainly not in updates/features. You can flip that around.
Look if you prefer Pro Tools to Logic that's totally understandable. I do for some things. But in a feature-for-feature comparison, as well as update schedules and regular bug fixes, sorry but you're wrong (if that is in fact what you're saying).
Go have a look at what Logic has added or fixed in the past 2 or 3 updates vs what Pro Tools has added. Not even close. Do you even own Logic?

I'm not suggesting that anyone is wrong to have a preference - editing audio or whatever. I'm also not suggesting that Logic is better or that Pro Tools is better.
My point all along is that Avid has been dripping improvements and requiring pre-payment yearly, while Logic has been updating big and frequently, at no charge. It's that simple, and in my opinion, Pro Tools does not provide enough value for me to double my yearly payment.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
Do you even own Logic?
Most of the Windows users don't.. and the ones that do have very old version
Old 07-02-2019, 02:42 PM

He's got an MBP and Mojave listed in his signature.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM

No the point (except the post you mentioned) -- there is a great percentage of users that Logic isn't an option
Old 07-02-2019, 03:33 PM

The only things Avid I'm not giving up are my perpetual and this forum.