How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Strange High CPU behaviour

Hi All,

Came across this little puzzle today.

iMac i7 3.4GHz, 20GB ram, OSX 10.8.5, Protools 11.3, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, ART TubeOpto8 (via ADAT)

I have a tracking session set up with the following:

1x Track assigned to click
10x tracks assigned to record drums
2x tracks assigned to record bass
2x scratch guitar tracks with Scuffham S-Gear instantiated
1x track assigned to record a scratch vocal

I have 5x aux busses each assigned to different pairs of outputs for 5 different headphone mixes.

Each audio track has a send assigned to them going to the 5 headphone busses for monitoring.

Buffer set to 64 samples, WIFI off, Bluetooth off.

Here's the puzzle.

As soon as I record enable all the tracks the CPU pegs out at 100%, bounces around a bit but stays way up around there.
If I take the two guitar tracks out of record, the CPU sits around 25/30% and stays there.
If I re-enable the guitar tracks and set the buffer to 128 samples the CPU sits around 20/25% and stays there.

Now, if I set the buffer back to 64 samples and record enable all the tracks, again, the CPU jumps up to 100% and pegs out.

Then, if I "make inactive" or delete the 5 headphone busses the CPU drops to around 30% and stays there fine. If I "make active" again then the CPU pegs out again at 100%

At first i thought it was S-Gear causing the problem but it's the same with Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube 3.

I've managed to narrow it down to the Busses for the headphones.

Why would the headphone busses affect it like this? Is there any reason or explanation, suggestions?

As I say, buffer at 64 samples, 2x S-Gear, all tracks record enabled and WITHOUT the headphone busses, I can record all day long with the CPU at around 30%. WITH the headphone busses it won't even start to record… pegs out at 100%

Sorry for the long winded post but I'm a little frustrated with it at this point.

I'd like to be able to record at 64 samples and monitor this way but with this problem, it's impossible.

HELP!, lol

Rosco
Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Strange High CPU behaviour

Interestingly. I just tried exactly the same setup using Logic Pro X. Worked flawlessly. So, clearly a Protools issue.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Try removing the Scuffham S-Gear and testing...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM

As explained above. I did. And it worked fine. But it did exactly the same with amplitude and guitar rig. So, it's not s-gear. And it's totally fine if I delete, or make inactive the headphone busses. As stated in the OP.

AND, with all the same settings, it works fine in Logic Pro X.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:15 PM

All of the guitar amp sims I've come across are resource hogs.

If you have any other programs running (web browser, email, whatever) close them and see what happens.

You really should not have any other programs running when you are running Pro Tools...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Only happens with Protools though. And how would you explain the fact that when I delete or disable the headphone busses the cpu sits at 30%? No other programs running. Nothing but Protools. S-gear is not in any way a resource hog. Read my original post for the description of what I'm doing.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
That's a weird one.
Just for experimentation, if you keep your 5 headphones busses but you delete all your tracks except for one, for example the scratch vocal track......do you get the same CPU peak out?
No, it only happens when one of the Scratch Guitar tracks have a send on them… Guitar Tracks only.. every other track all have sends to the same place and the CPU is around 20/25%

If I remove all the sends from the guitar tracks, its fine… as soon as I add even one send back in… CPU pegs 100%. Also, if I make the five headphone busses "inactive" leaving the sends in place… its fine… CPU sits around 40%

Quote:
Have you recently (or ever) gone to your I/O setup and clicked on "Default" for Input, Output and busses?
Yes, just did that, made no difference at all.

Quote:
Have you recently (or ever) deleted the various PT prefs files etc.?
Yes, just did that also, and strangely, after trashing the prefs etc… opened Protools, loaded the session… and it worked perfectly. CPU was sitting at around 30/35% and didn't move.

So, I saved the session, closed Protools, re opened Protools, opened the same session I had just saved and bang!… CPU pegging out at 100% Nothing had changed since it was previously opened!

Quote:
You are recording to a drive other than the boot drive - correct?
Oh yes, External firewire drive, never been a problem.

Quote:
It does indeed sound like a PT problem.
Definitely something getting screwed up somewhere with Protools. So, between trashing the prefs, opening the session (working flawlessly), saving the session, closing Protools, re opening Protools and re opening the same session, something is getting screwed up.

Infuriating to be honest… I think maybe they should remove the "Pro" from Protools… lol

BTW… tried setting up the exact same session, busses, sends etc… in Logic Pro X… and it works a treat.

Having bought and paid for Protools for this kind of work, I want to be able to use it as it should used… and god dammit… it should be able to do this!

Thanks for you're help though… it was all worth a try… and it seems that the problem is being narrowed down (somewhat)

Driving me nuts!

Rosco
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Just tried uninstalling 11.3 and installing 11.2.2 to see if that made any difference… nope, no difference.

Worth noting, as I said before…. it's not S-Gear… as it's the same situation with Eleven, Amplitube 3, Guitar Rig 5, Bias etc…

Also worth noting that ANY other plugin works fine in the slot, CPU is way down in the 20's (SansAmp etc…) Only seems to be when these amp sim plugs are in the slot.

Grrrrr…..
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM

I'll try that. It works perfectly at 128 samples. But I'd like to get it down to 64 for live tracking. Which, I know it can do. Hell, It can track 20 tracks at 32 samples without breaking a sweat. Even with some plugs on each channel. I'll try using the native core audio driver and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Ok. Just tried it. Absolutely no difference. Same thing. I'm at a loss. I just don't get it.

Probably (as usual) something really simple.