How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Please don't build your hopes up. The promises/rumours/Facebook teasers from Waves are NOT about AAX DSP. They are NOT doing HDX period I know this for a fact.... They'd like to and they could do if they could make a return on 72 man years of HDX development and optimisation but they can't.

No doubt they'll be a flurry of naysayers following this post but believe me, it's really NOT going to happen. I heard it straight from the horses mouth. It's a bitter blow to the many thousands of pros who use Waves, not to mention the 592 who signed my petition.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ge-of-plug-ins

BTW. Can we get this to 600 by the end of the year?
That 72 man years of envelopment of just the aax dsp plugs is BS, as soon as they have actually made the aax native, which they are doing, they will have half the job done. The other half of the job is optimizing the code for the HDX chips. Same language, same sdk(?), just need optimization. Not saying it's an easy thing, but it won't take 72 man years of development to do that.

And I know you will say why didn't McDSP come out sooner, well they didn't just rewrite their existing code to be AAX compatible, which is C+ language like what RTAS was, they redid their entire line of plugins with new options. Now that takes more time. Not to mention that they actually made them to use 64 double precisions for the summing. The fact that the plugs are still using C+ like the old rtas is the reason why they actually can just take a native plug and pass it through the sdk and it will work, not marvelously well at first, but it will work. You wouldn't have been able to do that with the TDM plugs because it was a different language.

There's an other agenda behind waves refusing to do DSP this time around, beside what they have said although it seems they might be bending in front of the pressure. It certainly will not take 72 man years hour to do the switch, that trying to make us all believe in a complete lie. It's not going to be presto done, though that's for sure, but their estimate is complete bullock.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:

it's really NOT going to happen. I heard it straight from the horses mouth.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ge-of-plug-ins

BTW. Can we get this to 600 by the end of the year?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
...I heard it straight from the horses mouth....
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 AM

I haven't seen the figures for avids revenue but if there strugglign why don't they start a Kickstarter for PT11?

Everyone would support them!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM

"72 man years of HDX development"

I still don't buy that.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
"72 man years of HDX development"

I still don't buy that.
Well it's taken Sonnox a year to get three plug-ins to market, (and only very recently with the third one.) It took McDSP what, nine, ten months to release seven? Both companies are showing MINOR improvements in plug in counts over TDM. Yes Softube got in there early but they're nowhere near close to the "up to five time and as much as seven times" improvement Avid is claiming in HDX performance. ...And Sonnox are charging $80 a plug-in to upgrade!!!!!

So what chance has Waves with hundreds of plug-ins? Is it any wonder they've bailed on HDX? There's absolutely no sign of Eventide, Altiverb and Soundtoys yet either.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM

72 Man Years is the biggest crock of sh*t ever uttered on a forum.
Sonnox taking a year to get 3 HDX plugs on the market doesn't mean someone spent a year working on it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
72 Man Years is the biggest crock of sh*t ever uttered on a forum.
Sonnox taking a year to get 3 HDX plugs on the market doesn't mean someone spent a year working on it.
Do you know for a fact that someone didn't? I'd say the release rate of Sonnox/McDSP HDX plug-ins roughly corresponds with how long Waves say it would take them to do it given they have 300 components to port, or would have if they were going to actually do it. And as I said, neither Sonnox or McDSP are getting impressive performance from HDX. Quite the opposite in fact.

I suggested to my "source" that..."Avid should be on their hands and knees begging Waves to do HDX….!!!!!" His reply.... "If it was a good design there would be no need to even ask, we would be all over the system, at the end of the day we want to sell products!"
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
nowhere near close to the "up to five time and as much as seven times" improvement Avid is claiming in HDX performance
Hey can you people just drop that 5-7X claim because that's close to impossible to achieve. Sure, the new system is 5-7X as powerful as the old, when you compare raw MIPS but that's just saying "my car has 1000 miles range" (in optimal conditions which never happen).

We will have to wait and see if the plugin vendors take the time it takes to optimize the plugs. I fear most are satisfied to get the plugs out to begin with... :/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
...I heard it straight from the horses mouth....
I think that horse was playing with Marsdy's head!