Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

music making don't have to do with the number of bit we use, also if we have 128 bit or more everything 80% of the music we listen sound like S...t
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Avid you REALLY need to get your act together.

Much as I hate Logic I wondered how many instances of the McDSP 6030 compressor I could get on my 6 core 2010 Mac Pro. It's truly scary. I'm playing back 60 tracks of audio of an unplugged DI'd guitar so I can hear a small amount of hum. Any clicks and pops would be immediately obvious.

Each track has 10 (TEN) instances of the McDSP 6030 comp. I'm using the Avid HD Core Audio driver with the buffer set to 32 samples.

I'm getting SIX HUNDRED instances of the 6030 and the CPU meter is reading about 30 to 40% across all 6 cores. I got bored at this point and gave up adding more tracks.

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ic6030Test.png (hover your mouse over the photo until a Zoom menu appears then click original size.)

I'd do the same test with Pro Tools natively but I fear I'd want to borrow one of musicman691's guns and shoot myself.

If any of Avid's board are reading this, PLEASE get rid of your upper management and get some people in who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.....
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Dave:
So when are you moving to Logic then? Do us all a favor and make it soon.

QAPLA!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Ignore list.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Whatever.... Ignore list.....
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post
and also who need to run faster if the music market is so slow!!
I understand your pain... just run slower so you can keep-up with the music market!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
McDSP have gone 64 bit...
McDSP have always run their plug-ins at "double precision". The McDSP RTAS plug-ins have used 64 bit precision for years. The TDM plugs-ins have been at 48 bit because of the hardware requirements. Now, with HDX, "double precision" is 64 bit. So I don't see this is a change on the part of McDSP, but rather a continuation of what they have always done.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Avid you REALLY need to get your act together (...) If any of Avid's board are reading this, PLEASE get rid of your upper management and get some people in who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.....
Aren't you getting rather personal with your posts..? Beware, this kind of ranting can very well get you banned.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfi64 View Post
i will stay with my solid HD version 8, and a new mac pro (hope the cards will fit in that!!!
Cards will fit, but PT8 won't. The new Mac Pro will probably only run Mountain Lion which means you will need to upgrade to PT10.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
Dude. Logic is about a hundred bucks now. Just use that if you think it works soooo great.

I was a loyal Logic user from 2003 - 2010. I know the program pretty well, as do many others.

Yes you get way more instances of plugs, but If you seriously don;t have a clue as to why that is, then I'm wondering why you have an HD rig at all.

A DSP system has limitations for VERY good reasons and WORKS well for serious situations...FOR VERY GOOD REASONS.

If Waves is sooo important to your flow and getting a thousand instances of McDSP is important, then sell your HD rig and use Logic!

I moved AWAY from logic in late 2010 FOR VERY GOOD REASONS and am happier than ever.

I think it might be time to give MArsdy a little time out. Perhaps the mods could send him a message.
Stewart:
I never thought I'd agree with you but this time I absolutely have to. Well said (and to think I used to have you on ignore).

QAPLA!