Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Question When do you think theyll stop making PT/other plugins and things for XP

I was just wondering when in the audio world what the last version of Pt might be that would still be compatible with XP.

Im also wondering this for various plugins, im guessing when other things would start going to.

Im wondering this because theres still a few things I need to get to have a complete DAW. Such as a few mor plugins but moneys kinda tight with this econmoy if you know what i mean.

I just want to make sure i have enough time to get what i want before they stop making things for XP
Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Re: When do you think theyll stop making PT/other plugins and things for XP

The economy would get much better and many other things will change before "they" stop making stuff for XP.
Windows 7 is around the corner (later this year) and it looks like its gonna be a good one. If I had to guess it would be at least 2+ (probably even 3) years from now before anyone announces an audio product that will only run on windows 7 and not support XP. That would be sometime in late 2011, and there is still some time to get what you need for now.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM

Default Re: When do you think theyll stop making PT/other plugins and things for XP

this is also assuming W7 is a success. they had it planned to phase out with vista but it was such a flop they had to give that idea up. W7 is promising so far and i use it on a couple machines and is nice, still kinda like the trimmed up xp better though but it will be 2-3 years minimum.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 AM

As a side note, Microsoft supports XP until 2014. Lots of life still in it, and it's still the best performer for running Pro Tools.

One thing to keep in mind, that most don't realize, is that Pro Tools for the most part was developed on XP for PC. It had a very short life on Windows 98 when it first started. That is why it's the best OS to date for Pro Tools on the PC platform. It's had over 8 years of maturity being developed on XP.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
it will be 2-3 years minimum.
I agree, these companies won’t stop selling compatible software until there is no profit in it. Right now XP is the operating system of choice for their customer base. If things go as in the past, it may be 1-2 years from now before Digi actually qualifies W7 and offers all of the drivers for it. I hope not but… I’m just sayin’.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I agree, these companies won’t stop selling compatible software until there is no profit in it. Right now XP is the operating system of choice for their customer base. If things go as in the past, it may be 1-2 years from now before Digi actually qualifies W7 and offers all of the drivers for it. I hope not but… I’m just sayin’.
...and now that we got XP 64 running, it's time to upgrade to a better downgrade.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Thumbs up Re: When do you think theyll stop making PT/other plugins and things for XP

alright so it seems ill still have plenty of time to shop around for other plugins and software things for my system.

im thinking ill wait till like PT 8.1 to upgrade to that so most of the problems will be fixed by then even thought they got 2 cs' out now who knows what problems there still are.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM

I don't think you'll see Microsoft making changes that prevent people from running new software on XP any time soon. The installed base is way too big and the potential competition from Apple and the open source crowd is way too appealing.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson