Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Post Setting up Default Plug-ins for AudioSuite and Inserts

I have some ongoing sessions that follow a specific workflow and I have a lot of plug-ins installed. Selecting a plug-in repeatedly from its category isn't a huge deal but having a few common ones as defaults helps me (especially when I'm tired and staring at a group of similarly named Compressors or EQs!), so I thought this was worth sharing...

Setting up Default plug-ins in the AudioSuite menu

If you have go-to plug-ins you use for processing, you can add them at the top of the AudioSuite list.
  1. Hold the Command (Mac) or Control (Win) key
  2. Select a plug-in from one of the categories in the AudioSuite menu - It will now be available in the upper section of the AudioSuite menu (it remains in its category as well)
  3. To remove the plug-in hold the Command (Mac) or Control (Win) key and select the plug-in from the AudioSuite menu again - It will now only be available in its category
Setting up Default EQ and Dynamics for Track Inserts

If you have go-to EQ and Dynamics plug-ins you typically insert on tracks you can add them to the top of the Inserts pop-up list (limited to 1 of each type).
  1. Go to Setup > Preferences
  2. Click the Mixing tab
  3. Select your favorite plug-in for EQ and/or Dynamics in the Setup section
  4. Click on a Track's Insert - You'll see the plug-in(s) listed above the plug-in sections/categories
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Setting up Default Plug-ins for AudioSuite and Inserts

Thanks for the tip. This is good stuff, which I've read in a manual somewhere but never got around to doing. I wish more people in the tips and tricks thread would actually post more tips and tricks. I've been dumpster diving this category for about a week (back to 2007 or so) and a lot of the posts are arguments about audiological theoretical math - which I swore off when I ran away from home and joined the rock and roll circus.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.