Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-16-2004, 06:54 AM

Default mbox vs m-audio ozone

I've heard that the mbox's Analog to digital converter sounds aweful by the time you finished mixing etc.
Judging these (M-audio and mbox)by thier A/D converters,which would guys say sounds better?

looking for a real usb mobile solution.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: mbox vs m-audio ozone

I can't say for A/D's but here's my experience with D/A's for monitoring purposes, which is also very important in my eyes.

I had an m-audio audiophile 24/96, and then tried an MBox. I must say that I really didn't like the MBox sound that much at all. It sounded unclear in the low-mids and somewhat unfocused. The m-audio card sounded far far better and composed. The difference in sound was obvious. This is just my experience and there may be others who disagree with me. I myself would like to know what others think on this. I didn't try to record anything, just playback. But in my opnion D/A's are just as important as A/D's. Accurate monitoring directly influences how your mixes come out.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:37 PM

you're about right on point there, applefunk.Even my non-musical patner complained about hearing any low end with the mbox.
So,I wonder if anyone has done professional work with the mbox.
Anyone?

Is the mbox (audio quality wise)worth getting on a budget?

Old 02-16-2004, 07:40 PM

I read on this board a while ago a post from someone who says they had opened up both the 002 and a MBox and the converters were the same. (i can't verify this myself but that's what was posted)

I haven't heard the m-audio ozone so I can't give you a comparison but I use the MBox and think it sounds just fine. But in all of these debates about whether the mbox or similar units give you a 'pro' sound it really depends on what you want to achieve and what you expect to get for your money!!!!

Bottom line IMHO there absolutly nothing to stop you producing real good sounding material with an MBox. The pre's are acceptable and can be used, and the converters give you a clean & true reproduction.

As a stand alone unit it's probably way to pricey compared to it's opposition but with PT.LE and the software bundle included its a pretty good deal and if you only need two inputs you're set to go.

Obviously there are muchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuchmuch better pre's and converters out there but it's all about price. The Mbox isn't going to be used in a serious studio but as far as a good quality home setup or doing field recordings with a couple of mics & a laptop then it's really good.