Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 AM

Default Re: copy multiple cut locations to a region right below

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
This :
Fantastic. I'll be using this a lot! Thanks man.

Just out of interest - has Grid > Clips/Markers always been there or is this something relatively new? I don't remember seeing it before.

It would be handy if there was an Edit Menu>Seperate Clip>On Markers command and multiple marker lists per session.... Or even a generate markers from selected clips command.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable_clamp View Post
In my session I have a sh*** load of markers which indicate each pitch for the following samples.

Or is there a way to hide temporally all markers?
Even if the marker ruler is not visible (deselected in the ruler menu), the clips get cut at a marker position, unfortunately; as far as I know.
As long as the markers are at a clip boundary, they do no harm, obviously.
Another way of working in the future : "alternative markers", an audio track with an empty clip group (containing nothing) of the entire length of the session,
can be cut according to the mic-track-clips and labeled (e.g. with notes about pitch or whatever).
That alternative-marker-track can be hidden and thus can not interfere with the separate-on-grid-command.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks man.
Great. I got a heads-up on this function here on the Duc some time ago.
Quote:
Just out of interest - has Grid > Clips/Markers always been there or is this something relatively new? I don't remember seeing it before.
I do not remember, but at least since 5 years or so.
Quote:
It would be handy if there was an Edit Menu>Seperate Clip>On Markers command and multiple marker lists per session.... Or even a generate markers from selected clips command.
And "Separate Clip>On Markers only (not Clips)" and "Separate Clip>On Clips only (not Markers)".
You may vote for :
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/97504
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/174438
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Yeah, I tried it with hiding the whole marker ruler. Doesn't work as you already mentioned.

Another thing I came across in my session worthy to point out are sync points. E.g. generated by using beat detective. There will be also cuts made on those. So before going thru the whole process one should make sure all sync points are removed by selecting the regions and go to Clip -> Remove Sync Point.

However, thanks a lot Joachim! This will make my life much easier by now!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Another thing I came across in my session worthy to point out are sync points. E.g. generated by using beat detective. There will be also cuts made on those. So before going thru the whole process one should make sure all sync points are removed by selecting the regions and go to Clip -> Remove Sync Point.
Good to know !
Quote:
However, thanks a lot Joachim! This will make my life much easier by now!
My pleasure !
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Great. I got a heads-up on this function here on the Duc some time ago.

I do not remember, but at least since 5 years or so.

And "Separate Clip>On Markers only (not Clips)" and "Separate Clip>On Clips only (not Markers)".
You may vote for :
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/97504
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/174438
Voted!
Old 06-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

As far as I remember, it's been there since about PT5-ish (maybe longer, but I didn't come back to using PT in anger until about v5).

Quote:

Have you tried simply hiding every track, other than the one you want to use as a guide for the grid, and the one you want sliced on the corresponding grid? ( of course, create a Memory Location with track show/hide properties first).

As for other marker lanes, until that finally gets implemented, I use several tracks of the aforementioned dummy regions / region groups on a MIDI track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
As far as I remember, it's been there since about PT5-ish (maybe longer, but I didn't come back to using PT in anger until about v5).

Have you tried simply hiding every track, other than the one you want to use as a guide for the grid, and the one you want sliced on the corresponding grid? ( of course, create a Memory Location with track show/hide properties first).

As for other marker lanes, until that finally gets implemented, I use several tracks of the aforementioned dummy regions / region groups on a MIDI track.

That would be a little clunky for me because I have usually have a lot of tracks in a session, many of which are already be hidden. (I always work from a large composing template with tracks hidden but ready for when I need them.) Hiding/showings track would get messy and cumbersome quite quickly. Neat idea for smaller sessions htough.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
That would be a little clunky for me because I have usually have a lot of tracks in a session, many of which are already be hidden. (I always work from a large composing template with tracks hidden but ready for when I need them.) Hiding/showings track would get messy and cumbersome quite quickly. Neat idea for smaller sessions htough.

It's less hassle than it might initially seem, just create a memory location for your default track view (no doubt you are aware that you can set the properties of a memory location, so that it is neither a market, nor an edit selection, but simply shows / hides any configuration of tracks you wish).

Create any number of memory locations for the other track views you want (hide all tracks except VCA's / show only drum tracks and corresponding Auxes etc etc).

I have these memory locations saved as part of my templates (some of which are pretty large, and complex), and it can really speed things up, especially when combined with window configurations.

For example, I want my default track view :

I want to see just VCA's and the master track :

Back to my default view :

As you can see, you can really fly around the session, and of course add to, or modify the memory locations as needs be.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
It's less hassle than it might initially seem, just create a memory location for your default track view (no doubt you are aware that you can set the properties of a memory location, so that it is neither a market, nor an edit selection, but simply shows / hides any configuration of tracks you wish).

Create any number of memory locations for the other track views you want (hide all tracks except VCA's / show only drum tracks and corresponding Auxes etc etc).

I have these memory locations saved as part of my templates (some of which are pretty large, and complex), and it can really speed things up, especially when combined with window configurations.

For example, I want my default track view :

I want to see just VCA's and the master track :

Back to my default view :

As you can see, you can really fly around the session, and of course add to, or modify the memory locations as needs be.

Thanks for that Carl.

That wouldn't work for me unfortunately. I've been down this road before of saving what tracks are hidden or shown into memory locations and they way I work meant I was constantly having to update the default tracks view. The same applied to saving Window Configurations into memory locations.