How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Adding Plugins to a Track Region

Hi Guys,
I've been searching on here and google for information on how to add a plugin just to one region of a track but have come up short. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, how? Thanks for the help.

Matt
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Adding Plugins to a Track Region

the only way to do this is to process the region using audio suite version of the plug in.

What I do is

1. instantiate the plug in on the audio track insert and set the settings how I want.

2. I save the setting and name it (click the little arrow/triangle thing by the window used for selecting settings pre sets)

3. De-activate the plug in... not remove. De-activate. hold command and control then click on the plug in instantiation on the mixer to de activate the plug in (I think thats the key command??)

4. Select the region I want to process and head to the audio suite plug in list and select the plug in I just set up.

5. Once it opens I click in the settings and presets window and choose the setting I just created.

6. Hit process and process the file.

7. There are some other setting that apply to the processing of the region, things like continuos file, timeline vs region bin for the final processed version. . etc... I suggest checking out the manual for the section on Audio suite to go over what those settings do, but mostly I use the default setting
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 AM

2 other options:
1) If you want to bring in one or more plug-ins that are not used at all on the other regions, you could automate the bypass function of the plug-in(s).

2) If you just want to change the parameters of plug-ins you are using on other regions, you could automate all parameters of the plug-in(s) (or just the one's that need to change) and make the necessary changes for the region.

If you are not familiar with how to do the above mentioned things read the Automation chapter (Chapter 42 in v8) of the Pro Tools Reference Guide.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
the only way to do this is to process the region using audio suite version of the plug in.
Not true. Three words: Plug in automation.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Not true. Three words: Plug in automation.
Learn it...live it...you will use it a lot

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Answering the original question, there is no clip-based/region plugins in ProTools (this if for those who've actually used programs that have true clip-based plugins.) Bypass automation is a workaround and AudioSuite plugins are really closer to replacement (since you're rendering a file and putting it in the original files place.) If you use the AS method and are used to clip-based, then remember to duplicate the playlist before processing so you're not hunting for the originals if you need to change the plugin settings.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Answering the original question, there is no clip-based/region plugins in ProTools (this if for those who've actually used programs that have true clip-based plugins.) Bypass automation is a workaround and AudioSuite plugins are really closer to replacement (since you're rendering a file and putting it in the original files place.) If you use the AS method and are used to clip-based, then remember to duplicate the playlist before processing so you're not hunting for the originals if you need to change the plugin settings.
Duplicating the playlist is a great idea on several occasions. I do it before using EA and often before Melodyne of a track. I use AudioSuite a lot, both for leveling out volume(so compressors work more consistently) and for subtle EQ changes(maybe the singer moved a bit on part of the song).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM

When I was very very new to mixing I thought if you wanted to add an effect to only one part of the vocals lets say, you would apply it to that part of the track only (which is what he is describing). I soon found out that you just create another track. And another and another. I thought most songs only had like 5 or 6 tracks, one for each instrument. Boy was I wrong.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan177 View Post
When I was very very new to mixing I thought if you wanted to add an effect to only one part of the vocals lets say, you would apply it to that part of the track only (which is what he is describing). I soon found out that you just create another track. And another and another. I thought most songs only had like 5 or 6 tracks, one for each instrument. Boy was I wrong.
Uhh...if I understand that correctly, you are making a lot of extra work for yourself and using a lot of extra tracks. Please explain further so we can be of more help.

...Unless you are talking about creating aux tracks and using automation to send parts of the vocal track to aux tracks with different time-based effects on them. That's the proper way to do it.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
thats actually two words. "Plug-in" is one word, not two.
I contend that it's 2 words. Let's have a multi-page debate about it.
Is state-of-the-art one word? German-American? Twelve-year-old?