Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Altiverb 6 out now. Universal Binary version.

Altiverb 6 out now. Universal Binary version
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Altiverb 6 out now. Universal Binary version.

I would love to hear a report on the TDM version from an early upgrader.

STeve
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Just installed Altiverb 6 XL. Interface improved quite a bit, have to get used to it though. Quick test showed it took 4 accel chips to play back a stereo to stereo Concertgebouw reverb (4 sec). Ouch!
Nice to have zero latency though. Still the best IR reverb around with an amazing library. Well done!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Quick test showed it took 4 accel chips to play back a stereo to stereo Concertgebouw reverb (4 sec). Ouch!

How many chips are there per card?
Blackmagic Multidock, SSDs
iMac Pro
64 GB ram
OS X Mojave
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 PM

I just upgraded from Altiverb 5 HTDM to Altiverb 6 XL. It cost 85 Euros for the DL only version (upgrade from a recent purchase of AV5 HDTM), shipping for boxed is another 33.

I had them deposit an iLok asset, which requires the surrender of your AV5 HDTM license.

I installed on my HD3 Accel PCI Dual G5 with PT 7.2 and opened a mix I did a few days ago. It correctly and without any drama inserted an Altiverb 6 XL on the aux where I previously had AV5.

This was a simple stereo orchestral mix with only one stereo Altiverb on it, so it was easy to hear right away that something was wrong. Sounded like less reverb now when I A/B'd to the printed mix I had on a track.

I then played it and hit stop and heard the reverb stop after 1 second or so. WTF, I thought.

So, I took a closer look and the default replacement plug-in was the TDM hardware version (not RTAS), and on TDM you have to choose how long you want the tail to be (makes sense if you have a short room you don't want to eat the DSP you only need for a longer sample). It defaulted to the 1 second version.

That version, as a stereo in / stereo out 96khz reverb, used 1 HD Accel chip. The next choice up is 2.1 seconds, which used 3 HD Accel chips. (BTW, for someone who asked, an HD Accel card has 9 'chips' on it, though it is not clear yet how many of those chips can actually host an Altiverb since I believe some chips can do operations that others cannot). The next choice is 4.2 seconds which uses 5 chips. 6.2 seconds uses 7 chips, and 8.3 seconds could not be made available on my system (after a plug-in shuffle).

Then I made a test session which was 44.1 khz. I made a stereo aux track and put a stereo in / stereo out Altiverb 6 on it. DSP useage as follows: 1s = 1 chip, 2.1s = 2 chips, 4.2s = 4 chips, 6.2s = 6 chips, 8.3s= 8 chips.

Leaving the 8.3 second one on (using the 8 chips) I created another stereo track and tried to make an additional stereo in / stereo out Altiverb set at 1 second (should require 1 more chip). This was not possible. It seems that Altiverb 6 XL can use chips 3, 4, 5, and 6 (top to bottom) on a PCI Accel card (looking at the 'Gas Guage' system usage). On my system that means 8 chips.

Is it any different for people who have PCIe HD Accel 3 setups? Please report!

Then I tried my favorite setup, stereo in, 5 channels out. At 4.2 seconds that used all 8 chips also (the longest duration listed in the plug-in menu with a surround output from a stereo input, at least on my system).

Then I tried mono input setups. This is a whole different story (as expected since the stereo version basically does the reverb convolution for each input channel separately). Mono in, 5 channels out at 4.2 seconds now uses only 4 chips. And now I have the option of going up to 8.3 seconds in that config (uses all 8 chips).

Finally I tried some mono input, stereo output at 44.1 khz setups. 2.1 seconds = 1 chip, 4.2s = 2 chips and so on... you get 2 seconds of decay per chip with a maximum of 16.5 seconds using all 8 chips. If you need mono in/out only, you get 3.2 seconds for the first chip and basically each chip adds another 3 seconds or so -- topping out at 25.3 seconds of decay using 8 chips.

I'd love someone to do some testing as to whether version 6 is any more efficient as RTAS on G5 processors than before, and then I'd love to hear how it does as RTAS on a Mac Pro (Intel).

-Casey
Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 PM

I would like to know where in Pop commercial music someone would need a 4.2 or 8 second reverb.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I would like to know where in Pop commercial music someone would need a 4.2 or 8 second reverb.
Haven't you ever put a long reverb on single tambourine hits every other bar in a tension-building verse?!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Not all of us are in Pop industrie
In classical/contemporary music 4.2 is quite normal for larges ensembles/orchestras
Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 AM

Sure. Post folks also may use it currently.
Whenever I do classical music my reverb ceiling has been 2.7seconds or making a combi of several 1.3 - 2.3seconds. I remember sometimes there is one very low reverb in the mix (3.8-4 )s.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.