Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-1999, 01:09 PM

Default SCSI-Firewire-Scanners-Noise-Help!

I own a Protools studio.I’ve been using Macs since around 1984 and have upgraded through many Apple and Digidesigns products since….so I have experience, but am not as technical as many of the folks who post here. I originally bought the Mac to sequence my Emulator E-II.
I currently am using a Power Tower Pro 200 six slot Mac clone with a CD-ROM drive and four internal SCSI harddrives on the internal bus and, on the external bus a SCSI Jazz drive and a CD burner.
I am pleased with my current studio setup. I built a "computer closet" under a stairway to remove the noise of fans and harddrives.
The problem is I want to add graphics stuff (a scanner and a color printer) to print my clients CD labels and jewel inserts.
I also want to use the new sheet music scanning software. I also just upgraded my EIV’s software and this requires it to be attached to the Mac SCSI bus. The scanner has to be attached to the SCSI bus.
So… I don’t know what to do?
I can’t fiqure out how I could possibly get a SCSI connector through the computer closet wall with enough length. How can I keep noisy stuff in one room and still have "hands on" the equipment I need to get to like the scanner, etc?
If I buy a G4 and keep it on my desk and only turn it on while I’m doing graphics I still can’t fiure out how to get the most out of both. Do I have to buy two of everthing….how do I connect a scanner, which uses SCSI to a G? What about firewire? Is there one dealer that can sell me everything and therefore be responsible for the system?

Christopher Kimball
C.K.'s Musical Workshop
2006-106th Ave. N.E.
Bellevue, WA 98004

425-453-4777
FAX: 425-451-8032
EMAIL: [email protected]
Wenatchee, WA 98801
509-667-0648