Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2000, 12:42 AM

Default CD Audio Extraction Not Working!!!

Hey Guys,

I've got a relatively simple project (for which I'm severely time-crunched) where I need to import tracks from multiple CD's, arrange them, and master the whole thing. However, so far only two out of the five CD's (with more on the way) are playing nice with extraction. Out of the three problem CD's, two won't even read and one comes up with a bunch of digital pops and clicks (which are NOT present when played on a normal audio CD player).
I've got a beige G3, 466mHz, 288Megs RAM, OS9, etc. All of the CD's I'm working with are CD-R's from various manuafacturers. Also, I used Pro Tools, Bias Peak LE (in demo mode), Sound App, and Toast to try and extract audio from the problem CD's with no luck. Anyone have any clue where I can go from here? Everyone's help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 03-31-2000, 02:37 AM

Default Re: CD Audio Extraction Not Working!!!

Hi Chris: this is a well know problem with some IDE CDROM drives.
I'd suggest best and sfaest way is to get yourself a SCSI CDROM drive (Plextor 40x) or use a burner for extraction.

You could also see if it's possible to run it with a lower version of the CD-extensions set. I had this problem solved once bij downgrading to 7.6.1. drivers,

Remember: you should back up the OS9 versions first and then replace 'em all:
- CDROM Extension
- CD Audio Access
- ISO CD
- Foreign File Access
- UDF Volume Acces

I'm behind an office PC right now, so forgive if I forgot one or used the wrong description.

------------------
Arno Peeters
www.tapetv.nl
Old 03-31-2000, 10:07 AM

Thanks Arno,

I do have a Smart and Friendly CD burner, but how do I get it to READ CD's that I put in? I can't find where I can do that, as far as I know it only burns them. This would help immensely if I knew how to work it from that angle. Also, I do not have the time or financial means to run out and buy another CD-ROM drive, but I will check out the extensions set. Thanks again! Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 03-31-2000, 10:31 AM

Chris,
In toast (at least 4.0) you should be able to switch which CD drive you're reading from (internal or external). Just Make sure the computer recognizes the external on startup- i.e. it's turned on...
I can only extract audio from my external cd burner (yamaha 6416) and not my internal IDE, not quite sure why.Hope this helps.
Chris

Old 03-31-2000, 03:51 PM

Chris. You need the Toast CD reader extension installed. Power on burner before you start-up Mac. Under "recorder" mount your CD (rom) in Toast 4.0. Use PTs and import audio.

Toast 3.8 came with Toast Audio Extractor 1.0. You can even save them as SD II files.

When you have a SCSI cd and a built-in CD. The control strip will let you toggle the cd player- the other chris mentioned. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2000, 11:23 PM

Guys, thank you SO much for your advice, it saved my butt this time around. I was able to get my CD burner to read and extract the audio, then dump it into Pro Tools. Now, the only problem is that Jam (the software I would like to use to print up a detailed track log) does not support my CD burner. I've worked with Toast bunch, but never for mastering jobs that will be sent to a duplication house... does Toast write detailed (frame accurate?) track logs? Again, thanks everyone!