Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Default (12) 8.0.1 threads. (4) Legacy threads. Jeez!!

I'm unable to put 8.0.1 on the systems here for fear of mutiny and/or bodily injury. Legacy interfaces are in just about every room - as are two PPC systems.

Horizontal Scrolling (DTS acknowledged and supposedly is working on it)

MIDI ADC (ADC in general, but that's a biggie)

Loop-Crashing (Workspace still hoses PT regularly)

Anti-Aliasing (parts of which look better in 8.0.1, but not there yet)

And now knowing this *might* be the last PPC update to address all that (MIDI-ADC goes back to at least 7.4) - is crazy. I understand product life cycles, Moore's Law, and Apple and now Digi's mentality of moving forward.

I just wish moving forward would also include fixing some of the things that drive us crazy and then to this forum to re-hash the same 'Repair permissions. Delete Databases. Kill Pref's. Restart PT. Build new Pref's. Quit PT, backup Pref's. Check plug versions for incompatibility. Repeat daily.'

Is it possible that with some of the new look and feel, we're losing the stability battle? And with so many people leaving Digidesign, a new era of AVID-determined execs who have less idea of what it is we really need?

I'm a big fan of new. I've been using 8 since it came out, and since cs3, I've been using it almost exclusively.

In 10.6, repairing permissions in Disk Utility has been fixed. It doesn't take nearly as long as it did in 10.5. That's huge. Apple made a lot of under-the-hood fixes and I can't wait to see PT run on it, officially.

In PT8, the app launches quicker, and has the auto-plug-removal feature if you don't have an authorization to run it. New visuals, better playlist managment (but no shortcut for new playlist - cause Digi is alledgedly 'running out of key commands' ?!? Hello - option-apple-N?? Shift-option-N?) Better engine/chip management, ADC on busses (alledged), and cool new VI's. MIDI and score editors, more LE tracks (which I realize LE voice-count does not apply to anyone reading this forum). Cool. But we're needing some more stability and sanity on the platform now. Too much placating the LE vs Logic camp.

If I had to go to the owner of the studio, tell him we need to trade in the two PPC systems and spend 12k to do it (3k on card swap, 3k on new MacPro's times 2 systems) BUT we'd be getting a much more stable and cool version of PT to use out of it, he'd be cool with that. But as it stands now? Those PPC's will be running 7.4/8.0cs3 till the end of time!

I just can't reccomend the 8.0.1 update to anyone. Maybe I'm just slighted as I use a trackball and don't want to install the iMouseFix or whatever on 12+ machines that I visit on a daily, just to make the scroll work again. But seriously - the amount of threads in the last week about 8.0.1 taking us backwards again is astounding! Yes, 8.0.1 is 'pickier' with outdated plugs and probably half the users on the forums here are having a plug-related issue with 8.0.1. But wow! Between that and the dropping Legacy support notice, I'd be surprised if people weren't more likely to visit Digi in person and ask which 'suit' is trying to drive this company (and our sanity) into the ground? Or maybe we should all drive up to Mass and camp out at the AVID HQ. I would, but I've got too many systems to checklist their PT8 compato.

Anybody else feel like the threads of late have been excessive? (I realize the conundrum of me posting this just adds to the pile).

Ok. Rant off.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Re: (12) 8.0.1 threads. (4) Legacy threads. Jeez!!

Quote:
ask which 'suit' is trying to drive this company (and our sanity) into the ground?
I keep thinking the same question. Someone has too much power, not enough knowledge of the customers/business they are in and are likely surrounded by too many yes men. I've seen it before. . .

I am hoping the path forward gives loyal customers much consideration and does not leave us on a deserted island, because at that point many of us will rethink our options before any further expenditure and it likely won't go Digi's way. . .
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM

PT 8 Improvements / Fixes:

Workspace FAIL
Horizontal Scrolling
ADC / ADC-MIDI
Session Import Data
Selections
Anti-Aliasing
Sample Rounding
Playlist sorting (out) - new playlist key command, etc

Any others?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Off topic posts of a personal argument removed. Not something we normally bother with, but made an exception in this thread. It may be boring compared to other forums, but we believe that this should be a place where users treat each other with mutual respect, even if they respectfully disagree.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesign View Post
Off topic posts of a personal argument removed. Not something we normally bother with, but made an exception in this thread. It may be boring compared to other forums, but we believe that this should be a place where users treat each other with mutual respect, even if they respectfully disagree.
thank you.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:06 PM

i want to thank some of the real active posters for getting back to the issues, keeping everything in the realm of professional discussion will in the long run be more benefit to our entire community.

I have been a heavy PTHD user since 2001, I can recall a number of software / hardware bugs that have cycled through the various cs releases and major releases.

I know there's a ton of folks on here that have a much longer tenure of using this platform, but in my time here I've never seen such strongly passionate posters as the regulars that are against PTHD 8.

In all seriousness haven't these points been established thoroughly already?

I also humbly submit that this forum is entitled DUC (digidesign user conference)

I truly don't want to offend or inflame, but i sincerely don't think railing on this issue on the DUC is going to get any changes implimented quicker.

I am also reminded that no-one forces anyone to upgrade to pt8 so there really are options for everybody until the next best thing comes out.

I'll close by quoting an common expression that I hear my 15 year old say from time to time:

"I'm just putting it out there"

peace to all and God bless
PS: thank God there's still a recording industry!

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Just my .02

This is the Digidesign USER Conference. If people come here to start threads simply for the purpose of flaming Digi, then sure, erase them. But the users are bringing up valid concerns, about the stability of a software release for instance, even if that post is inflammatory, it should be allowed.

People post such things to 1) warn other users that this given release may be worth carefully considering, 2) to let Digi know that they are having problems and 3) to remind Digi that WE, the customers, keep them in business.

I've been a ProTools user for over 12 years now, starting with version 3. I have no desire to see Digi go under, but it would be nice if I had any belief that anyone at Digi gave a damn about me, my work, my suggestions, or my ability to have a system that works.

Again, for me, 8.01 was a disaster. I honestly believe it is a flawed release, and it seems daily to be showing itself to have serious issues.

Perhaps all my problems are plugin related, I have no idea, because Digi still hasn't posted an updated like for 8.01 to tell me if my plugins are compatible. So I have no way of knowing.

And inflammatory posts are not 'personal'. If some of us are overly vocal, and post with angry comments, it's because this is BUSINESS. Not personal. It's business when I upgrade to 8.01 and lose an entire day of my work time in trying to figure out why I'm all of a sudden getting all kinds of new errors and new bugs are appearing that disrupt my workflow.

And Digi has to learn that maybe when enough users are getting alienated by a buggy release, or what APPEARS to be, when errors such as the 'remove unused regions' have persisted for VERSIONS, and Digi can't, or won't seem to fix it, when they don't listen to user suggestions that have been made for YEARS....

OK, I'm really done now, I won't post another thing about this. But Digi, what is happening to you as a company?

It's sad to see. It really is.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Yeah, the unused regions truncated bug is a good one.

I love PT. I would have a really hard time using another DAW. It's my livelihood, with or without a console. I'm sorry if I've come across rudely on this thread - I honestly did not mean to start a flame-Digi thread. I just can't remember the outrage/duplicate thread fire up that appeared after 8.0.1. I've been using PT since 2001 and really only started watching the DUC in last couple of years.

Each version of PT has it's own flavor - I use PT5 / 7 / 8 every day!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 AM

Sean - I saw all the posts before they were deleted. You didn't come across rude IMO, and don't need to apologize to the forum.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Sean - I saw all the posts before they were deleted. You didn't come across rude IMO, and don't need to apologize to the forum.
+1. I saw the posts too and totally agree with 1m1. Unfortunately the best way to deal with SJ is to totally ignore anything he says. It can be difficult at times, and I for one have fallen for the bait more than once, so I empathize.

I would +1 your list as the major offenders.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native