Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2001, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Future of SoundDesigner II

Will,

You're right. Sorry for my hazy statement. What I would to tell is that I have the ProTools 24|Mix card, one DSP farm AND one Audiomedia III card in the same computer (a grey PowerMac G3/233) to be able to run ProTools AND SD II.

Now I fear, that I couldn't run this configuration further on if I change the system to a new actual Mac model ...

Matthias [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 08:08 AM

I also give my vote for SDII, I CAN NOT do the same thing with ProTools so I run a Mix+ tdm system with the AMIII card in my 9500. I have 2 systems on my machine and reboot for SDII but it's worth it. To much overhead in ProTools and lack of simple head and tail editing and fading of stereo files witout time consuming bouncing. Then if I want a small change do it all over again.
I would even give up the EQ and Freg analysis in SDII I only need- Normalizing - ability to Fade - Gain Change. Most of my proccessing is outboard anyway... Just please make it work with PT Hardware. I would realy like to get rid of the AMIII card and will have to once I upgrade to a G4 or G5... or run 2 computers.. ugh!!
Old 11-27-2001, 09:56 PM

I have a 7100 with a Sonic Solutions SSP3 card and an AMII card Running SDII. The AMII card with the waves plug-ins & SDII, sounds better than the Sonic Solutions station. I do almost all my mastering on the AMII, with some help from a nanosync and the PSX 100. SDII has its place, even when pitted against a mix+++. The simple user interface and the code are well suited for high quality audio, when used correctly. I have about a zillion copies of SDII on floppies. Digi should open up the source code, sell it or do something with it, for those of us die hard SDII fans. SDII also locks up well to TC, fast and easy... always spot on, without a USD or any wonder box. Great product, early demise.

Regards

e
Old 12-16-2001, 05:40 AM

I'm delighted to see that this thread is still running and running! I'm still using SDII on a daily basis for classical stereo editing, and fully intend to continue doing so indefinitely. The Waves plugs are a vital ingredient in this.
I have plenty of experience editing in PT where I need to edit multi-track so I can adjust the mix post-editing. However, in classical editing there's often a need for trial and error in massaging the edit until it sounds seamless, and in PT this is very long-winded as you have to manually delete the crossfade, tinker around with the region boundaries, then re-instate the crossfade so you can hear the result. In SDII you can do all that in one operation and audition instantly. I've made this point a number of times in the forum and Digi seem to have ignored it ...
Old 01-31-2002, 12:23 AM

I too am still using an old Nubus machine because of SDII. I purchased the ProMaster 20 interface because of the audio quality on offer, and now have an external 24 bit a/d. I'm reluctant to use AMIII to upgrade to a later computer because of the lack of AES digital inputs. I am currently trying to get a Sonnet Tech G3 card to work in the 8100, but audio imported has regular glitches. DAE version 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 both suffer from this and the last Nubus DAE3.3 won't allow SDII to control the PM20 inputs from analogue to digital or back again. Any ideas from anyone?
I suspect we users are banging our heads against the Digi brick wall, but one further voice in support of SDII can' hurt, can it?
Old 02-12-2002, 03:13 PM

I join the club who want to see this product revived somehow, as quixotic as that may be. This week-end I did a comparison of cleaning up tape hiss on a 16 bit file using BNR on both a Nubus system using Sound Designer and a MixCore using the PT audiosuite BNR plug-in. The Sound Designer version produced lower hiss with less artifacts. Don't know how that could be, that's what my ears tell me.

Bring back Sound Designer!
Old 02-13-2002, 10:07 AM

Just to let you all know, I still run SDII everyday on three different G4, all running os9.2.2. I use an AMIII card, and PTLE5.01, with it's standard install. I mention this for those of you fearful of doing upgrades and losing SDII. Not only does it still work, but it's real snappy on the G4's, and it runs with no bugs that I can find.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:40 AM

Marc, what did You prepare on Your machines to get SD II running? What configuration exactly do You use?
I intend to change from a PowerMac G3/266 to a PowerMac G4/733 L3 and still want to use SD II (v 2.8.3) together with ProTools 24|Mix. (works very fine on G3 with OS 9.2.2)

Please give me some advices. Thank You a lot!

Matthias
Old 07-14-2002, 03:54 PM

Hi,

I am also someone who is running S.D. 2.8.3 on my beige G3 and wanting to upgrade to a new G4. I see from one of the last posts, that Marc Dunn is happily running SD on the newer Macs.

I went to a friend's house to try to install SD on their G4 and was totally unsuccessful. My AM III card is the right model number, yet nothing I did worked. The CPU would not recognize the card.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-16-2002, 03:23 AM

To answer your question, I run PTLE, and the basic install for that provides whatever SDII requires for operation. I use AMIII cards. I have done NOTHING else. I run it on G4/400, and /500. I have not used any other software, i.e., AMIII installers, etc. Just PTLE. Hope that answers your question.