Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-15-2003, 05:28 AM

Default How do you get OH\'s and GTRs sounding tight

I'm trying to figure out why my OH's never seem to gell well with my GTR's. I don't know whether it's the fact that I'm recording in a small room or if it has to do with frequency carving and blending. It seems that the cymbals...mostly the open hi-hat are too harsh or loud. The cymbals always either sound too loud/harsh or too low. I can't get the gtrs and OH's to sound blended. I can create a volume level blend...but the frequency of the gtrs and OH's clash or something.

The gtrs always sound too seperate from the cymbals. Any ideas of how to EQ the OH's to get them to gell well with the gtrs? Is the room a big issue...cuz the drums sound fine..it's just the cymbals. My mics are not too close to the cymbals either. Anybody else have these problems?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:43 AM

Default Re: How do you get OH\'s and GTRs sounding tight

Maybe you just need cymbals with better tones? If the cymbal itself is wrong, even a 10k mic won't help it.

I think lot's of people just assume cymbals are cymbals, and spend all their time worring about which mic and pre-amp to use. But it's really no different than everything else - if you got the right tone to begin with, you're 95% done.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:16 PM

Well I did have Zildjian A custom cymbals before..but those were tool loud and gongy...sustained too long as well. So I tried out a lot of cymbals and was pleased with Paiste's. So actually the only cymbal that is not a paiste is my hi-hat which is a Zildjian A custom still.

In the mix...I don't want it to seem so powerfull. I actually want it to sound more thin. Is that just a matter of hi filtering the oh's? Maybe I should look for another hi-hat.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:52 PM

maybe the drummers playing too loud
Old 10-15-2003, 05:53 PM

are you treating your OH's simply as 'cymbal mics' or using them to get a good balance of the kit? I would suggest when you are tracking that you try and get the best kit balance that you can with the OH's themselves. At this stage you should spend time on the placement of your OH mics to get a smoother cymbal tone, then add your additional kit mics. You're more likely to get better results working on your mic placement than trying to EQ the crap outta the overheads, if your drum balance is big and punchy you shouldn't have a great deal of trouble getting your guitars locking in.

That of course depends on how well recorded your guitars are. Are you multi-micing the guitar? Lots of other scenarios here

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 PM

Ditto the playing too hard post. Also what kind of music are you doing? For hard/heavy music I usually don't like Paiste's because they sound much harsher. Depends on the drummer though. Try to filter the OH's without adding any top (you may even have to take some away). You may be running into an over EQ problem.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:29 PM

I do alternative rock...grunge.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:26 AM

One technique I've used with much success involves ditching the XY configuration for overheads. In order to get not-so-harsh sounds from the cymbals, the overhead mics must not be pointing directly at them. Instead, try using one mic directly over and pointing at the snare drum, between 38 and 43 inches away from the center of the snare drum head. Then place the other "overhead" mic off to the floor tom side of the kit (almost parallel to the floor), pointing at the same spot on the snare head, and the same distance away. I usually set it about six inches higher than the floor tom.

You can still pan the mics hard left and right, and the snare will remain the center of the stereo image. Panning too hard may make the hi-hats sound like they're too far off on the side, but the toms will be more on the sides as well. The cymbals and hi-hat should be toned down, though, because the mics are not directly facing them. And yes, I've used this technique in small rooms.

Let me know if you try it.

Naagzh
Old 10-16-2003, 02:12 AM

Quote:
One technique I've used with much success involves ditching the XY configuration for overheads. In order to get not-so-harsh sounds from the cymbals, the overhead mics must not be pointing directly at them.
Using an XY configuration doesn't dictate that you have to point them directly at the cymbals. I mount my XY pair on a T-Bar and often will experiment with moving them around til the sound is 'right'. First thing I would try if I had too much cymbals in the OH's is lowering the OH mics general rule of thumb - lower = more kit, higher = more cymbals then fiddle with the relative angle of the capsules to the snare.

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 10-27-2003, 07:44 AM

one basic you should never forget... Make sure they sound good -BEFORE- you even set up a mic.
Then, all you have to do is not screw it up. But, if they sound like crud before you mic up and start to record, you already in deep trouble.

cheers
georgia

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700