Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Default pt 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 hangs at loading

I messed around and tried to update to 10.3.4 and pt stopped loading or took 30 minutes to load. Followed the manual procedure to clear prefs and databases and what not, no change. uninstalled and reinstalled pt 10.3.5 no change.

antivirus, etc. has been disabled the whole time.

Any ideas? im a little flummoxed and would appreciate any thoughts. I am a little wierded out that a delete and reinstall didn't fix it.

We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Re: pt 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 hangs at loading

courtesy bump.....

tried every single optimization and i'm totally dumbfounded
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Sandra report? See the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this web page.

What interface are you trying to use? (yes I get that it is apparently slowing down before getting that far).

This sounds exactly like an AV problem. Are you absolutely sure you have AV software disabled? What AV is installed? Iit is not an uncommon issue to have it still running thinking it is disabled. What processes are running under task manager? While Pro Tools is stuck starting up? post a clear screen shot of the processes (not apps) if possible.

Try trashing prefs and databases again, making sure you are following the instructions exactly, reboot and test again. Try reinstalling Pro Tools again from scratch, be sure to do an uninstall first.

Darryl
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 AM

I know you said that you disabled antivirus. Are you using Microsoft Security Essentials? If so, I found that you MUST exclude ALL files related to AVID, DIGIDESIGN, Plugins etc. For some reason, disabling it alone did not matter. Go into settings and locate every single folder and exclude it from being monitored or scanned during Ptools startup.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 AM

Hi Jenk2k.

It would be interesting to know what's showing in task manager. When PT hangs. Nothing? One entry of Pro Tools.exe or two?

You may have disabled AV but did you fire up MSConfig and disable everything except Pro Tools related functions? Make sure you check both startup and services for stray entries.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM

Hey ya know, Ive had Pro Tools hang up like this for pretty much every version (started with 8 m-powered). I have no idea why it does this. This has happened on multiple machines. I notice this has only happened on Windows os. The thing I do is just don't click or move the mouse when Pro Tools is starting up. It will hang for a bit and then be okay. I really wish Avid could fix this issue. But try just not clicking or moving the mouse when you start it up. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecaboose View Post
Hey ya know, Ive had Pro Tools hang up like this for pretty much every version (started with 8 m-powered). I have no idea why it does this. This has happened on multiple machines. I notice this has only happened on Windows os. The thing I do is just don't click or move the mouse when Pro Tools is starting up. It will hang for a bit and then be okay. I really wish Avid could fix this issue. But try just not clicking or moving the mouse when you start it up. Hope this helps.
And did you have any antivirus software installed? How long is "a bit"? Was it hanging specifically at some point in the startup (like loading plugins or DAE initialization). What were all the other processes that were running? Pro Tools does not hang on startup on "normal" or properly configured systems, so there is unlikely anything for Avid to "fix" here and very likely worth you trying to debug things and workout what was going on.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 AM

I've seen this on configured systems FWIW. When its happened there usually will two instances of Pro Tools.exe running in Task Manager. With "Not Responding" listed afterwords. Eventually one instance will exit and Pro Tools will launch normally. I'm curious if this is the case with the OP.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecaboose View Post
+1

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM

im sorry i missed all the replies above. I will gather a Sandra Report and task manager screenshot right away.

I did NOT think to disable microsoft security stuff. If I failed to disable that, ill bet thats what it its. I use symantec endpoint a/v but i had it all disabled for the duration of the install. I will get back on here tomorrow and throw some data up.

for now, my config is a RME FIreface 800, w7 64 bit 16gb ram, two internal hd's, ASUS p6t SE with an i7 920 (one of the configs I found on here about two years ago known to be PT friendly)

ONe thing I did try was to reinstall new pace drivers, update RME drivers, and then reinstall ASIO4ALL, but obviously none of these things has helped the rpoblem. Thanks again to all.