Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 PM

Default Negative Pro Tools Vent

The reason why I get frustrated so often using pro tools as a creative tool is because of things like today. I launch PT 10 today to get creative and lay down some music and all the sudden it thinks I have no iLok. So now instead of being creative I've spent 20 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling ilok drivers.

The fact that this type of problem keeps happening across versions (i've beein buying and upgrading since PT6) and the basic features of the software barely changed other than a few accoutrements is infuriating.The first time any real substantial developments have happened are with PT11, which I was happy to buy, but FFS I am so frustrated with this kind of nonsense always happening. I mean PT11 is really just stuff that everyone else already got to market.

The fundamental flaw is that Avid developers don't think like the Steve Jobs of the world and consider the emotional component of running software.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 05-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Negative Pro Tools Vent

could it be the usb port?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenk2k View Post
The reason why I get frustrated so often using pro tools as a creative tool is because of things like today. I launch PT 10 today to get creative and lay down some music and all the sudden it thinks I have no iLok. So now instead of being creative I've spent 20 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling ilok drivers.

The fact that this type of problem keeps happening across versions (i've beein buying and upgrading since PT6)
If you've been reinstalling iLok drivers because of random disconnections since PT 6, then this indicates a system/hardware issue. If it was universal, we'd all have this same problem. I myself would start troubleshooting the hardware. First up would be the USB ports and then the actual iLok itself.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 PM

I apologize for my negative vent.

I haven't had this exact same issue since 6, but I have had random issues with the cache and had to trash preferences on fully qualified macs and windows machines. I don't use USB other than the ilok, and reaper, logic, and cubase all play fine with iLok assets. I've had to uninstall and reinstall every single time I've upgraded or updated pro tools. Yes I do all the turning off of AV and yes this happens on both platforms at different times.

Again I'm also happy to pay for software but where is the vision for a truly inspired user experience?
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Did you defeat USB power management? (That isn't a Pro Tools problem, btw...)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM

I think you guys are missing the intent of the OP. He is saying that he has had myriad problems with PT since version 6 and they are creativity and productivity killers. He is suggesting a more stable, easier to work with user experience more suitable to musicians as I read it.

Jenk2k - correct me if I am wrong.
Sys 1 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.8.3; Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 w/Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 Mhz CPU; 32 GB Ram: 1 TB Samsung 850 SSD: 4 TB ext. WD Black USB drive; RME UFX interface; Sys 2 - Win 10 Home; Pro Tools 12.8.3 Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 w/AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 3.4 Mhz; 16 GB Ram; 750 Gb int. Samsung 840 Pro SSD; RME UFX interface; Sys 3 - Win 10 Pro; Pro Tools 12.4; Dell XPS M1530 laptop w/Intel Core Duo 2.5 Mhz CPU, 4 GB ram; 500 GB int. Samsung 840 SSD; RME UFX interface
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 frets View Post
I think you guys are missing the intent of the OP. He is saying that he has had myriad problems with PT since version 6 and they are creativity and productivity killers. He is suggesting a more stable, easier to work with user experience more suitable to musicians as I read it.

Jenk2k - correct me if I am wrong.
The intent I understood and I think we can all vouch for that one. There are many long winded manual procedural workflows that could definitely be reduced to one or few commands for a better user experience.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM

Point taken. BUT PT 6-8 didn't require an I-lok authorization, so if your USB power management wasn't disabled, it wouldn't have mattered. It'll take you 2 minutes to go into device manager and disable USB power management, if you haven't done it already. What that does is turn off the USB ports if it "thinks" they're not being used. Which is exactly what your description implies.

Last edited by sw rec; 03-01-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Haven't been back to this thread in some time, but I think it's funny how we all at times deal with this stockholm syndrome defending PT. I have never, ever, ever had to deal with ilok reinstalls on any other DAW, irrespective of OS.

However, as mentioned above, this is one of many in a pattern of workflow annoyances that Avid to this day has never addressed. USB power management was disabled all along, btw, because I followed the extensive list of optimizations very carefully.

I found the mood at the Avid booth at NAMM to be awkward and the best thing about it was seeing Herb and Dave. They have nothing to offer right now but more hassles. After installed Presonus Studio One, I have to say, I doubt I'll use PT much longer.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:14 PM

it's all personal experience
I spent 5+ years running a 100+ PT rigs in a school and not iLok problem with software
the only 2 problems I had were, 1 iLok got snapped in 2 and my boss left a box of of them next to his trash can and the cleaning crew tossed them out never to be seen again

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig