Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Getting signal and dry guitar sound but no playback.

Hello everyone. I'm having some trouble getting up and running. I got the newest mbox mini today with protools express and installed all the drivers, followed all the instructions on the quick start poster, and set the output to mbox mini under system preferences. (I'm using a macbook pro- mac osx lion 10.7.5) Also hooked my monitors up to the mbox. I plugged my guitar in, set up a new track. I'm able to set the levels and can hear the dry guitar sound, but I can't hear anything on playback after I record. Also, when I insert a plugin, I can't hear anything. Just dry guitar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere but I can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Getting signal and dry guitar sound but no playback.

I'll take a stab but I don't have Express so I'm not familiar with its intricacies. Often times using the key combination ALT+K or OPT+K on a Mac to change input modes will fix this.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Getting signal and dry guitar sound but no playback.

Well I guess I didn't realize that you had to have the mix knob turned up in order to hear even if you have monitors plugged in. I thought that was only if listening through headphones, but now when I arm the track to record I get a horrible distorted feedback sound. Something that sounds similar to the beginning of Pantera's Sandblasted Skin if you've ever heard that. And thats with no plugins or anything going. Just plugging in a guitar and setting the track up to record. I thought maybe a bad cable but I tried that and a different guitar. I don't have a clue guys.