Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Default control 24 vs conventional mixing board

I'm still figuring out what a procontrol does, and I find it exciting. However, knowing what gear does NOT do is as important as knowing what it does.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I cannot use procontrol as a conventional analog mix desk. It is a control surface for protools, but the drawback as I see it, is that I cannot use it to mix my MIDI modules or to make them part of a protools music mix.

In short, I am debating trading in my 02R for a procontrol. I suppose to most of you, it's a no brainer; but nevertheless, the procontrol DOES NOT have line level inputs and I can't use it for my analog sources around here. Correct? Any perspectives on this issue?

thanks

c-post
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: procontrol vs conventional mixing board

I’m not sure if you mean Control 24 or Procontrol. If you're actually talking about the procontrol unit, you're in the wrong forum. Either way, they aren't mixers and your assumption is correct, you can't use them to mix things like an analog board. The control 24 has a line level submixer that you can use, but it is very limited. The control 24 also has 16 analog mic pres with line level inputs and two DI inputs.

As far as trading your 02r in, I hope you have another I/O. Neither the procontrol or Control 24 acts as or substitutes for the hardware interface. They are considered peripherals and work along with the hardware and software.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 05-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Woops, sorry, I did mean Control|24 the focusrite unit. Thanks for the info, any other opinions appreciated.

best

c-post
Old 05-05-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi, I run all my synths into a Mackie LM3204 line mixer, then run it's tape outs into my PT interface, and Input monitor it in real time (this works fine with Midi Clock synced parts/controllers).

Then I use the faders on the C24 either to bring the whole monitored submix down, but more I use the midi volume which comes up alongside my audio faders etc, and midi pan on the pan pot, all on the C24, to control the input montitored submix.

Works a treat and gives me total control of the synths right up to mixdown, at which point I either print the whole submix, or simply solo each midi track (with the submix input solo safe'd) and print each individual part down to separate audio tracks assigned from the submix, depending what I'm doing. Works a treat!

Hope that helps
J