Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 11:07 AM

Default HOW ARE YOU BACKING UP YOUR FILES??

What method are you using to backup your PT files to CDR??
Old 04-01-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: HOW ARE YOU BACKING UP YOUR FILES??

I backup to dvd-rw then to an external hard drive. Cant get any better than that!

www.Chrisclouse.com
Old 04-01-2003, 07:53 PM

I archive all of my sessions to external firewire drives. Works great. Very fast and reliable. The 1st drive is only powered up during "save session copy in" - therefore, no chance of corruption of the drive. Second drive is only powered up after I have finished my first set of backups to the first drive. Drag the session copies over to the second backup. Now I have 2 backups that only contain the relevant files (alternate takes and so forth get removed from my backups to save space), and I keep the original on one of my internal hard drives while I'm working on it. All data is safe. I think I want to eventually get a DVD burner (prices are so low its stupid not to have one) to archive projects that are completed.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:06 PM

Some advice please...how many sessions is it advisable to keep on the system drive of the mac (i Mac G4)..if i buy Disk Warrior and defrag the system drive every now and then..?

I don't ever keep my sessions long...and only ever seem to have 3 or 4 at a time....then i tend to save them to CD-R if i have a keeper that i finished and want to archive.

If it is still best to get a firewire external for audio...which is best? Maxtor look ok...i don't like the look of Lacie's.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 AM

If you have a large system drive, as we do, you certainly can use that space for storage/back-up, it's just not advisable to run the sessions from the system drive. We have an 80gb system drive that is partitooned 5gb(OS9) 5gb(OSX) and 70gb(Storage/backup)

In addition, we have two other internal drives, both 40gb IBM Deskstars, that we use for files, Protools and otherwise. (We do not run any files other than system OS on the system drive.)

We archive to DVD-R and/or HDD.

In addition to the internals, we have two fireWire drive docks with a multitude of drive caddies ranging from 20-120gb.

Typically we sell a drive to the client once the project is finished with their files on it. and recommend they back it up, or purchase a back-up drive as well.

With regard to defraging, here's our method. since we always have things back-up up twice, we use the Apple drive set-up utility and reinitialize the drives when they become fragmented. It takes about a minute, and it is the most effective way to defrag a drive. Once reinialized, we somply copy the information back to the drive from the other back-up, set any sharing properties, and we're done. Much fster and more complete defag than DiskWarrior/PlusOptimizer. (Which btw are excellent utilities.)

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:15 PM

Hey there, where02190 I like your security officer busta drules [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by where02190:

With regard to defraging, here's our method. since we always have things back-up up twice, we use the Apple drive set-up utility and reinitialize the drives when they become fragmented. It takes about a minute, and it is the most effective way to defrag a drive. Once reinialized, we somply copy the information back to the drive from the other back-up, set any sharing properties, and we're done. Much fster and more complete defag than DiskWarrior/PlusOptimizer. (Which btw are excellent utilities.)

Hope this is helpful.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually yes, that was very helpful but, if you don't mind, can you elaborate on this process? I have OS 9.2 running on the system drive (60gig - no partition) and then my 120gig external firewire drive partitioned in 3 X 40 gig (sessions, samples, audio, respectively).

If I want to defrag my drives as you do, what do I need to prepare? I'm basically asking you to walk me through it, if you don't mind?

thanks a bunch!
Old 04-03-2003, 09:35 PM

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM FireWire external drive...OWCMEFW60GB: $179 US.
1-800-275-4576

I keep a backup drive in a bank vault in the financial district...the ultimate in off-premise backup security.
[email protected]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by where02190:

Hope this is helpful.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually yes, that was very helpful but, if you don't mind, can you elaborate on this process? I have OS 9.2 running on the system drive (60gig - no partition) and then my 120gig external firewire drive partitioned in 3 X 40 gig (sessions, samples, audio, respectively).

If I want to defrag my drives as you do, what do I need to prepare? I'm basically asking you to walk me through it, if you don't mind?
thanks a bunch!
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1. Back-up your audio drive twice.

2. Using Apple drive set-up utility ( on our install disk) reinitialize and repartition the audio drive. This completely erases the drive.

3. Copy files from back-up to audio drive.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant:
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM FireWire external drive...OWCMEFW60GB: $179 US.
1-800-275-4576

I keep a backup drive in a bank vault in the financial district...the ultimate in off-premise backup security.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow. Serious.

Thanks where02190! I will mention that i have an i Mac G4 700 mhz, which has a 40 gb hard drive.
Does that method of partitioning work well for you? No problem?
And do you think i could do the same trick on my system (5gb for OS9, 5 gb for OSX, 30 gb for audio sessions)???

The main reason i don't get a firewire drive right now is 'deskspace'...the only place i could put a firewire drive right now is on top of one of my Roland monitors (they are either side of the computer)..however i posted here regarding this and was advised not to put it there.
Thanks