Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Quits Unexpectedly?

I have an mbox that I was hoping to use on a PC and on my PowerBook for live recording. It won't work on the PC, and the list of things to turn off, stop, just to TRY and see if I can get it to work makes it unusable for a machine in my office that does other tasks. Looks like it would take 10 min or so of turning off stuff EACH time I wanted to use it and then turn all that stuff back on when I'm done!!!

So I get to the PowerBook (1 GHZ PowerPC G4, OSX 10.3.4, 768 DDR SDRAM, 60 gig Toshiba drive, Mac OS Extended Journalized file system). I installed 6.1 and did the upgrade to 6.4. Repaired permissions. Trying to start gives a "The Application ProTools quit unexpectedly" (since it does it every time, it's not unexpected to me!!!

The help file in this forum says to go to System Preferences/Login, but there isn't such a thing (I'm a new Mac user....). It says to make sure that no offending software is being loaded. If I knew what offending software was, I wouldn't be reading the help message in the first place. It says to make sure it's HFS+ and all I can find in Disk Utilities and Get INfo is MAC OS Extended Journalized.

One overriding concern is that I bought this for live recordings. Given the difficulty of getting it to work on ANY machine, it seems too flakey to depend on for a LIVE recording. I'm looking for a bulletproof means of recording to my computer and KNOWING that there won't be a problem (I've been using minidisc for recording and NEVER had a problem (except for the time I forgot to turn the mic on....))

Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Quits Unexpectedly?

Start here...which should clear up your problem...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#313423

Pro Tools should be stable enough for live use, with some caveats...
Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Quits Unexpectedly?

I've been to that page, and that's the file I referred to in my original post. I don't have a System Preferences, Lgin ITems, I don't know what offending software is, can't tell if I have HFS+. I did do most of the other things (delete preferences, etc.) all to no avail.