Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Repair Permissions: Disk or DVD?

We have all been told to repair permissions as a "cure all" for macintosh woes and anomolies. Should it be done from the installer DVD, or your Mac's System Utilites application?

I ask because my Spectrasonics Plugs suddenly would not load.Someone suggested repairing permissions from the Install DVD three times.The first time I ran it it came up with ALL kinds of fixes. Maybe 50 in all. The second time, it came up with no problems. So I figured, "Job Done'

Out of interest, I then tried repairing from the Disk Utility on my hard drive. It came up with about as many errors as the first time I did it from the DVD (about 50.) What is going on?

I usually repair from the Disk Utility on the Hard Drive (I thought this was preferred) It always came up with about 5. They were always the same.

ANYWAY!! This little experiment was interesting, but it also fixed my Spectrasonics problem, they now load fine.

What is the preferred way to Repair Disk Permissions?

Each method seems to do it differently.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: Repair Permissions: Disk or DVD?

You should do it using the Disk Utility located at MacHD>Applications>Utilities.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Repair Permissions: Disk or DVD?

Why not the DVD? Is it bad to do it from the DVD?

Both?

As I mentioned, the DVD found several thing the utility on my HD didn't come up with.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96