Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-18-2016, 12:00 AM

Default Can someone explain to be the argument behind Pro Tools being bad with midi?

Ive been hearing this since I started using it. "Pro Tools is bad with midi"... I didnt have much experience with DAWS before Pro Tools but Ive tried reason and ableton as well. Ive watched 100's of hours of production video in logic and ableton though so im familiar with both.

But anyway Why? I always ask for reasons but people dont really ever seem to have them.. I produce electronic music in the box 100% and most of the time im in midi and its all done through VSTS in Pro Tools 11.

Am I missing something? Im not saying theyre wrong, im legitimately asking - What am I missing regarding people saying Pro Tools is bad with midi? Am I unintentionally handicapping myself by using Pro Tools if I work on Electronic music In the box?

I know pro tools well and my workflow is fast - Im not looking to switch, im just looking for a logical explanation to why everyone says Pro Tools cant compete with Cubase/Logic in terms of Midi Production.

PS- Please no biased opinions, I want actual facts by someone whos familiar with each DAW. Im sure I will also get a lot of "Pro Tools is just as good" responses from people who have never used cubase or ableton, etc.. Only informed answers please. Ive been hearing these statements for awhile now and the purpose of this thread is so I can actually get to the bottom of it. Im already aware of all the biased opinions out there haha.

Last edited by DBK; 12-18-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain to be the argument behind Pro Tools being bad with midi?

The reason PT is awful with MIDI is because it was never meant as anything other than an audio recording program. It's origins were that and still that's it's use in life. Even film composers that might use PT who use MIDI for mocking up a score give their scores to real musicians to play.

How can your workflow be fast with the horrible MIDI in PT? Doesn't make sense. You might want to try Digital Performer. Way better with MIDI work - it's where I do all my MIDI stuff. Once you get into the workflow and the way things work in DP (it's not that easy but worth the journey) I guarantee you'll fly through things. 30 day free fully functioning demo and no iLok needed.

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain to be the argument behind Pro Tools being bad with midi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The reason PT is awful with MIDI is because it was never meant as anything other than an audio recording program. It's origins were that and still that's it's use in life. Even film composers that might use PT who use MIDI for mocking up a score give their scores to real musicians to play.

How can your workflow be fast with the horrible MIDI in PT? Doesn't make sense. You might want to try Digital Performer. Way better with MIDI work - it's where I do all my MIDI stuff. Once you get into the workflow and the way things work in DP (it's not that easy but worth the journey) I guarantee you'll fly through things. 30 day free fully functioning demo and no iLok needed.

.....aaaaand you didn't answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1908 View Post
.....aaaaand you didn't answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did I not answer the question? If you or the op wants technical info then you're asking in the wrong spot. You need to get with Avid people to get that kind of answer. No one here can give you that kind of info.

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:21 AM

I think the OP is asking what specifically is wrong with PT and MIDI, considering they seem to get done what they need with it.

That's how I read the post.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I think the OP is asking what specifically is wrong with PT and MIDI, considering they seem to get done what they need with it.

That's how I read the post.
It's hard to say how the op's post should be read - he doesn't give explicit examples of what he's talking or asking about. My take is he's asking about technical info as to why PT & MIDI suck which is more than what anyone here can answer.

QAPLA!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Let's see who's right!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Saying that PT is "bad" with midi is really a relative comment. If PT is all you have used, then PT is fine with midi. If you spend time on another DAW that maybe handles midi in a different fashion(like maybe it offers more or easier editing features), then you might view PT as lacking. I have friends that are heavy midi users and many swear that "(insert DAW brand here)" does midi much "better" than PT. They could be correct. Or, they could simply be accustom to another style of work flow(from my experience,no matter which DAW you start out on, any other will likely be tougher to learn). If you are able to create music as you like, I simply would not worry about it(Pro Tools works dandy for me with midi, and I simply prefer it for audio over the rest of the pack)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2016, 08:43 PM

The timing is very bad.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:38 PM

Recently yes (12.6), but that is a bug....it's not inherently the reason PT's midi is considered inferior.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.