Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Purpose of Outputs on HD IO 16x16 Analog

The "Pro Tools IN" connector on C24 is exactly what it says, it takes all analog inputs in one DB25 connector. Bear in mind (this is what is in the manual) that Right channel isn't channel number two but instead it is number three. Channel number two would be Center channel. So if you are only using it for stereo, you need to connect channels 1 and 3 on the C24 end and you probably have stereo output using channels 1 and 2 on the HD interface.

If you don't buy that ready-made cable kit, here's what I suggest (and if you don't do your cables yourself, the mentioned proaudiola.com is very helpful):
  1. Create an input cable for C24 analog inputs. That is a DB25 connector with channels 1 & 3 connected to left and right XLR female plugs
  2. Create an output cable for HD interface. That is a DB25 connector with likely all 8 channels connected to XLR male plugs
  3. Then it is easy task to connect outputs 1&2 (if that is what you have set up) to C24 input cable left&right plugs
  4. Create an output cable for C24 analog outputs. This is what you connect to your monitors and again Right channel is number three. Use whatever plugs your monitors want for input.

Now you have a monitor controller wired properly, the master volume on your C24 controls your monitor volume.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The "Pro Tools IN" connector on C24 is exactly what it says, it takes all analog inputs in one DB25 connector. Bear in mind (this is what is in the manual) that Right channel isn't channel number two but instead it is number three. Channel number two would be Center channel. So if you are only using it for stereo, you need to connect channels 1 and 3 on the C24 end and you probably have stereo output using channels 1 and 2 on the HD interface.

If you don't buy that ready-made cable kit, here's what I suggest (and if you don't do your cables yourself, the mentioned proaudiola.com is very helpful):

1. Create an input cable for C24 analog inputs. That is a DB25 connector with channels 1 & 3 connected to left and right XLR female plugs
  2. Create an output cable for HD interface. That is a DB25 connector with likely all 8 channels connected to XLR male plugs
  3. Then it is easy task to connect outputs 1&2 (if that is what you have set up) to C24 input cable left&right plugs
  4. Create an output cable for C24 analog outputs. This is what you connect to your monitors and again Right channel is number three. Use whatever plugs your monitors want for input.

Now you have a monitor controller wired properly, the master volume on your C24 controls your monitor volume.

Thank you very much!! I believe I have all the cabling necessary to make this work the way you described. I was wondering how to get around the L=1, R=3 dilemma without buying custom made snakes. I was looking around for the Avid snake set and apparently they're no longer available and I don't have a lot of cash, so the workaround you described is basically my only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 PM

Thanks, JFreak, took your advice and it worked like a charm. The real problem, after getting straight on the outs from HD IO to C|24, was that I was using the wrong set of outs from the IO. 9-16 instead of 1-8... STUPID on my part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM

I left you a voicemail on your home phone yesterday. I have been in Italy and just got back.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
Thanks, JFreak, took your advice and it worked like a charm.
Great :)
Old 04-21-2017, 02:46 PM

As an epilogue, and a huge thanks to all who replied, the basis of my current understanding (which is actually pretty good now), is that I've realized that there are few similarities between live sound equipment and studio purposes equipment when considering IO. This comes mainly through the realization that most integrated mixers do not allow the configuration of IO routing and Pro Tools relies on this flexibility. Of course, I now get the fact that without routing analog audio back to the C|24 from the HD IO, there's no way I would ever get audio to monitor or cue outputs. Once again, thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
As an epilogue, and a huge thanks to all who replied, the basis of my current understanding (which is actually pretty good now), is that I've realized that there are few similarities between live sound equipment and studio purposes equipment when considering IO. This comes mainly through the realization that most integrated mixers do not allow the configuration of IO routing and Pro Tools relies on this flexibility. Of course, I now get the fact that without routing analog audio back to the C|24 from the HD IO, there's no way I would ever get audio to monitor or cue outputs. Once again, thanks!
Good to hear!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Good to hear!!

+1

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-27-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
+1
+1

Glad u got it sorted out in your head. I think we can all appreciate the frustration of not having all the info we need. I just wanted to make sure you don't hesitate to ask your questions on here. Obviously try to find some answers in other threads before posting a new one but with that said, there are a lot of cool people on here willing to help. Have fun playing with all your new toys!!
Pro Tools Carbon | HD Native 2021.12 | HD I/O 8x8x8 | UA 4-710D | Avalon VT737 | Waves Mercury | Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Kontrol S61 | Maschine Studio | Eleven Rack | Pro Tools Control w/ 9.7" iPad Pro | Pro Tools Dock | S1 | MacPro 7,1: 16-core 96GB RAM W5700X GPU OS 11 1TB SSD +OWC 1m2 2TB SSD (samples) +Sonnet M.2 4x4 4x2TB Samsung Evo Plus SSDs in RAID 0 (sessions)