Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Does native+omini work for Ableton live

Hi Dear friends,

I am new for HD native system. I used MBox system before. I am buying the PCie native and omini, I will use both protools HD12 and ableton live 9suit. Do I need to install any driver of the ASIO ? Or do I just install PTHD12?

I noticed there is no download link in the driver page. Only a link to master account. But I didn't find the driver link in my master account.

Thanks

Song
Old 04-09-2017, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Does native+omini work for Ableton live

ASIO is only for Windows(your signature shows a MacBook Pro). Are you intending to use the HD/Native package with the laptop? If so, then you will need some kind of chassis for the PCIe card(it will not connect directly with the laptop). If the laptop has Thunderbolt, you should look at the HD/Native Thunderbolt system. On Macs, CORE AUDIO should allow Ableton to use the hardware, but be aware that PT has not always done the best with multi-client(hardware can be used by more than 1 program). If you have yet to purchase the HDN package, is it really what you NEED?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2017, 01:29 PM

And no MacBook Pro with Core 2 Duo has Thunderbolt AFAIK. So what exact computer are you installing the PCIe card in?

As Dave asked - why are you buying Pro Tools HD? Do you need surround sound or advanced automation or what? There are many great interfaces out there from other vendors to choose from. Unless you need those software features or high IO counts (>32 IO Core Audio and ASIO limits that Pro Tools inflicts) there is little reason to go HD.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Hi Darryl and Albee,

Thank you for kindly reply.
Sorry I just haven't change my signature for I didn't find where to change it. That was my old laptop and system years ago.
Now I'm using windows 7 with PC. I will have the PICe native card with omini.

I often use PTLE to producing and mixing most of my works. But I feel the Mbox + PTLE is not enough tracks neither enough dynamics. So I bought the HD native. I don't have enough budgets to get HDX and IOs.

Also I'm using ableton live to produce some of works. I hope that I will use only one PC to arranging by Ableton live and mixing by both PT. I thought that I need to download drivers to let the native work, But I didn't find where to download it. Do I just install the pro tools HD 12 and it will install all drivers just like PTLE8?
Thanks

Song
Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Uh OK, but the number of tracks you can mix in Pro Tools 12 *standard* is 128 @ 48kHz and you can record 32 tracks. I hope you looked at that closely before assuming you needed HD, Pro Tool LE used to be more crippled than that. If you don't *need* HD and it's not too late to return what you have purchased I'd do that. Many other interfaces have more feartues and connectivity than Omni and better ASIO support than Avid Digilink interfaces.

My last understanding was you install stand-alone drivers, but not running HD Native I'm not totally sure.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 AM

Hi Darryl,

What the stand alone driver used for? Can I just install ASIO driver, So that I can use Abletone Live. Just as what Avid mentioned in the manual.

Do you know where do I download the ASIO driver?
thanks

Song
Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM

The stand-alone driver for Windows *is* the ASIO driver, for OS X it is a CoreAudio driver.

If you are not seeing the driver in your Avid account you need to contact Avid customer support.

You do have an Avid Account? You purchased the Native+Omni though an official dealer and have registered that so Avid knows to drop those installers in your account? That is info Avid customer support will likely want to know.