How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Using 11R as Recording Interface Only

Hello everyone.

I'm not real new to the 11R and have been successfully using it to record into Logic Pro X (using the USB cable) as well as occasionally using it as a preamp with a power amp and cab setup. I now want to try something different but I'm ignorant in this area so please try to be kind.

Here's what I would like to try to do but I'm not sharp enough to know how to make it happen, assuming it CAN happen. What I want to do is record my tube head using the Badcat Unleash DI out to the 11R as the interface (via USB to laptop) for Logic. Can this be done and, if so, how? If it can be done, will the 11R algorithms cause problems with the sound? If it can't be done, is there a relatively inexpensive solution to make this happen?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Using 11R as Recording Interface Only

The easiest way would be to run the DI output of the BadCat (which is line level) into a DI box, which will convert it to mic level. Then run the output of the DI box into the mic input of the 11R. You would select the mic input in your DAW and would get the unprocessed signal of your amp.

Something like the Whirlwind IMP-2 would work and is pretty inexpensive.

System Details
Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Using 11R as Recording Interface Only

Thanks for the response junkgear.
I figured there had to be a way but I just didn't have the knowledge to make it happen.

With the money I have wrapped up in these 2 tube heads, it seemed wasteful not to be using them much these days. Unfortunately, my current living conditions won't allow me to turn up the volume enough to mic the cab with good results.
Thanks again for offering a very reasonably priced solution that I can resolve immediately.