Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 AM

Default Pro Tools MP 7.4.2 Constantly Crashing

I've been searching all over and can't seem to find anyone else who is having this issue, so hopefully there is someone here who can help me out. I am running M-Powered 7.4.2 on my 2008 MacBook and had no issues with it until this month when I installed an SSD and transferred my data from my old HDD to this one. Now whenever I open an existing session, the moment I try to save Pro Tools crashes with no error (I have the crash report saved). Also if I try to create a new session it will open an edit window but crashes within seconds.

MacBook 4,1 (Mid or Late 2008, can't remember off the top of my head)
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
OS X 10.6.8
M-Audio FireWire 410 and M-Audio ProFire 2626 (issue happens with both interfaces)
Pro Tools M-Powered v7.4.2
6GB RAM installed

-I normally run sessions with a portable USB time machine backup drive attached, but I have tested with it disconnected and the issue persists. The computer only has two USB 2.0 ports, one is always taken up by my iLok so the other either has the TM drive plugged in or nothing at all. Other than that the only other things plugged into the computer are the FireWire 400 cable to my interface and the power adapter. There is only one FW port on the computer. The FW cable is a straight 400-400 cable, no extenders, adapters or repeaters, and the issue persists with multiple cables of the same variety.

-The drive I currently have installed is a 256GB SATA Solid State Drive, formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), partition map is GUID Partition Table and it is the drive I use for recording and playback. I will note that before this I had a 1TB HDD installed, formatted exactly the same and I didn't have this issue. I know that my best course of action is to probably just install that drive again but I'm hoping to find a solution to this so I can keep the SSD.

-This computer has no cards to replace and I have already tested with multiple cables that are roughly the same make, and I have no extenders.
-The old 1TB HDD doesn't have this issue, the new SSD does.
-I don't use any MIDI devices and I have tested with and without my backup USB drive plugged in and the issue persists.
-I haven't tested the FireWire 410 on my other computer (Mid 2012 Mac Mini, OS 10.10.3, Pro Tools 11), but I have used the ProFire 2626 with it and had no issues.
-I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers for my hardware and the issue persists.
-I have done a basic uninstall of Pro Tools, which did nothing, so I then did a full clean uninstall and reinstall, which still did nothing.
-I've tried trashing the preference files in ~/Library/Preferences and Mac HD/Library/Preferences, that didn't make a difference.
-I've swapped my 6GB (4GB and 2GB chips) for 4GB (two different 2GB chips), this also had no effect.
-I don't believe it could be a plug-in issue, technically the waves plug-ins I had on this machine no longer work because I updated from Waves 6 to Waves 9 two years ago and that disabled the plug-ins on this system (AFAIK waves 9 isn't supported on PT7).

I've ran up and down the "Setup and General Troubleshooting thread" twice now and as far as I can tell I've tested everything I can. I know this system is old and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but this is the very first major issue I've encountered in 7+ years of using it, so I figured I'd take a shot.