Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Default hw buffer 9092 error - do I win anything for posting the millionth post about this?

I've read, watched, and cursed at every post or tutorial on this subject.
I know there is no easy fix to this issue because I've yet to see one succinct answer to this question.

I've seen the, "buy a new computer!" answers and the, "upgrade your ram, firewire card, or other hardware!" answer and I conclude that this can't be an acceptable answer either.

Yes, the digidesign website thoroughly covers the compatibility issues and yet there are plenty of users of this software who use every component they say is untested and incompatible, which leads me to conclude Digidesign has simply sand-bagged the compatibility testing process by under-promising and over-delivering.

I ask, "who out there has actually solved this problem? I know you're out there...the world waits"

Below is my Sandra report.

My computer is heavy lifting enough to run video processing and rendering software and multiple windows and processes open at any time and I'm at no more than 50% of CPU usuage. Pro tools has never gotten over 5% CPU usuage.

This buffer size error is not a CPU processing error. It is a more benign issue that somebody out there has solved.

Please come into the light my child and whisper sweet nothings from the rooftops.

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : FART FACE
User : Toilet Plunger
Workgroup : MSHOME

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
Speed : 2.40GHz
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 4 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

System
System : System manufacturer System Product Name
Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI
Bus(es) : PCI PCIe USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 1 Processor(s)
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : No
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 255.255
Total Memory : 3.50GB

Chipset 1
Model : Nvidia C55 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1.07GHz)

Video System
Desktop Monitors/Panels : 2
Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Imaging Device : USB Video Device

Physical Storage Devices
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB (FireWire/1394, NCQ) : 465.76GB (C:)
Hitachi HDS721010CLA 1000GB (SATA300, SCSI-6, NCQ, 29MB Cache) : 931.51GB (E:)
SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A (ATAPI66, 48x CD-R, 48x CD-W, 6x DVD-R, 6x DVD-W, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (E:) : 931.50GB (902.09GB, 97% Free Space) (NTFS) @ Hitachi HDS721010CLA 1000GB (SATA300, SCSI-6, NCQ, 29MB Cache)
MASSIVE (C:) : 465.76GB (217.18GB, 47% Free Space) (NTFS) @ Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB (FireWire/1394, NCQ)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A @ SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A (ATAPI66, 48x CD-R, 48x CD-W, 6x DVD-R, 6x DVD-W, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : Digidesign Mbox 2 Firmware Updater
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Trackball
Human Interface : Logitech Cordless USB Trackball

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : SB Live! 24-bit

Printers and Faxes
Model : Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Model : Auto HP PSC 750 on Fart Face
Model : Adobe PDF

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 3)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

Network Services
Network Drivers Enabled : No
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM

Default Re: hw buffer 9092 error - do I win anything for posting the millionth post about thi

I've had those issues myself, and having "floated" around here awhile the 2 things they are going to ask right off the bat are:

1. What version of Internet Explorer are you using? If you are using IE8, that is known to have ALOT of problems. They'll recommend going back to IE7 (I think IE6 even had problems if I remember correctly)

2. Are you using a USB drive to record to? That is another common issue it seems. That was my issue and once I got an eSATA drive, it went away.

Just my .02

Good luck with it. There are alot of folks here that will offer up a hand.

"Yes, recording to the system drive is 99% likely THE main problem." sw rec
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Re: hw buffer 9092 error - do I win anything for posting the millionth post about thi

I was in the same boat as you... there is no solid answer to this problem.

try this:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=267727

(I got harrased for posting it, apparently it's in the sticky section, I coulnt find it)

anyways... the tech told me to delete old drivers... install new ones ...then go into device manager (you should see the digi box with a yellow question mark on it) from there ...he told me to update driver by selecting from list... did that, restarted.. viola. good luck!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Have you read through the list of 9092 errors on the site to see if any look like they could be you, http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...27.254&start=0

Seems like a lot of "audio Clock" problems related to 9092
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM

No, there is no universal answer because this is a general error saying that PT ran out of time. It's caused by something, anything keeping the system busy too long.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
I was in the same boat as you... there is no solid answer to this problem.

try this:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=267727

(I got harrased for posting it, apparently it's in the sticky section, I coulnt find it)
I wasn't harrassing you - I just thought it funny that you posted a link to the Windows 7 beta drivers when there are already so many posts about it. Sorry if I offended you.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrsewmo View Post
I've read, watched, and cursed at every post or tutorial on this subject.
I know there is no easy fix to this issue because I've yet to see one succinct answer to this question.

I've seen the, "buy a new computer!" answers and the, "upgrade your ram, firewire card, or other hardware!" answer and I conclude that this can't be an acceptable answer either.

Yes, the digidesign website thoroughly covers the compatibility issues and yet there are plenty of users of this software who use every component they say is untested and incompatible, which leads me to conclude Digidesign has simply sand-bagged the compatibility testing process by under-promising and over-delivering.
What version of ProTools are you using? I hate to say it as it falls into the "buy a new computer" category, but I have SO many FEWER buffer errors since building an I7, and even when I do it's either because I have some other program running or I'm mixing with a lot of plugins and at a 64 buffer. IMHO the I7 is the only way to go if you want a rock solid LE system!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Have you actually done what people advised, all the optimizations, the BIOS setups, checked your firewire interface, your chipset?
Most of the H/W buffer problems I see here with the non-beta versions of PT seem to be caused by users not reading the system requirements and setting up their systems properly, having too many plugins for the buffer size or out of date plugins.
The I7's are great machines, but I still run a Q6600 and get 24+ tracks with a ton of plugins including VI's.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM

"Imaging Device : USB Video Device"
What is this? Can it be disabled? Also, does the error happen all the time or only on certain sessions(or one in particular). I just ripped out most of hair over errors only to figure out that it was a single corrupt session.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Angry Re: hw buffer 9092 error - do I win anything for posting the millionth post about thi

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
"Imaging Device : USB Video Device"
What is this? Can it be disabled? Also, does the error happen all the time or only on certain sessions
USB device is a webcam. Probably can be disabled, but if Pro Tools is that finicky, they need better software programmers.

Error happens all the time regardless of which session I load, or if I load a new session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Have you actually done what people advised, all the optimizations, the BIOS setups, checked your firewire interface, your chipset?
Yeah, I'm not one of these guys who complains until I've at least tried the fix. After turning all my windows to black and white blocks and doing some slight power usuage configs and some standard bios config, the problem didn't change. I liken this "recommended optimization process" to sprinkling sugar on a cake. I spent good money buying ram power and processing power so I wouldn't have to worry about squeezing the lemon till the pulp oozed out. My computer can handle much more intensive processing power from Adobe After Effects and Premier Pro which can render Gigs of video without any problem. The problem therefore can't be lack of processing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
What version of ProTools are you using? I hate to say it as it falls into the "buy a new computer" category, but I have SO many FEWER buffer errors since building an I7
Pro Tools Le latest update. I might just have to buy the I7 but I'm trying to save that money if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
anyways... the tech told me to delete old drivers... install new ones ...then go into device manager (you should see the digi box with a yellow question mark on it) from there ...he told me to update driver by selecting from list... did that, restarted.. viola. good luck!
In regards to the beta 7 drivers, I'm running windows XP. Already took off windows 7 just to run Pro Tools better which didn't get me very far.
I'll try this, but sounds like you might have gotten lucky, but maybe I will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Have you read through the list of 9092 errors on the site to see if any look like they could be you, http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...27.254&start=0

Seems like a lot of "audio Clock" problems related to 9092
I've checked this out before. I didn't have any of these related problems though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneFO View Post
I've had those issues myself, and having "floated" around here awhile the 2 things they are going to ask right off the bat are:

1. What version of Internet Explorer are you using? If you are using IE8, that is known to have ALOT of problems. They'll recommend going back to IE7 (I think IE6 even had problems if I remember correctly)

2. Are you using a USB drive to record to? That is another common issue it seems. That was my issue and once I got an eSATA drive, it went away.

Just my .02

Good luck with it. There are alot of folks here that will offer up a hand.
I've seen this as well, I reinstalled everything on my pc to deal with this. I removed windows 7 and went back to IE7. I'm recording to an external drive via firewire.

Having tried most of these solutions so far, I'm again of the opinion that the only fix on this is troubleshoot, troubleshoot, troubleshoot, but I'm 30 solid days into troubleshooting and still no fix. I've reinstalled everything to get this thing to work and still no solution at hand but I'll see tonite how far I get. This HW buffer problem has lived too long, too proud already...it deserves to meet its maker.