Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2021, 06:09 AM

Default Video shows duplicate and missing frames in PT

I have a weird problem I never seen before. On a film, the burn-in TC and the PT TC is 1 frame off, but not all the time, I located the spots and sometimes I see the same frame duplicated in Pro Tools, and sometimes a frame is missing, If I import the same video in Matchbox (Cargo Cult), it looks fine. Also fine in Media Composer and in MPEG Streamclip.

The format I get from the editor is ProRes Proxy from Da Vinci Resolve. I'm converting the file now to DnxHD with Streamclip, see if that will fix it, but I wanna know what the issue is. I have been getting many versions of the film so far and every one has been this way. Maybe someone here knows what is happening.

TC is 23.976.

I use PT 2020 12.0 on a MacPro Trashcan with HDX in a Magma chassi. OS 10.14.6.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Video shows duplicate and missing frames in PT

The most common issue here would be non-matching timecodes between the session (found - and adjustable - in the Session Setup Window next to "timecode rate") and the picture file itself. I would also look to see if an audio or video pull-up or pull-down has been accidentally engaged, at the bottom right of the same Session Setup Window.

But there could be other links in the chain, for example I use Black Magic Intensity Pro, and there are settings in its Desktop Video preferences that I imagine could change frame rates - though I haven't encountered that specific issue before.

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
System/Hardware Info
IMDb credits
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Video shows duplicate and missing frames in PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhatley View Post
The most common issue here would be non-matching timecodes between the session (found - and adjustable - in the Session Setup Window next to "timecode rate") and the picture file itself. I would also look to see if an audio or video pull-up or pull-down has been accidentally engaged, at the bottom right of the same Session Setup Window.

But there could be other links in the chain, for example I use Black Magic Intensity Pro, and there are settings in its Desktop Video preferences that I imagine could change frame rates - though I haven't encountered that specific issue before.

G.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Thanks, nope, TC setting are correct and no pulls. It's not drifting over time, its just suddenly not showing one frame, Pro Tools TC goes off one frame, not matching the burn-in, and 10 seconds later showing a duplicate frame and the TC is back on track. This happens several times in the movie.