Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-1999, 02:21 PM

Default initio scsi cards?

Hey all-

Anyone out there successfully using an Initio PCI SCSI card with the 001? The new compat docs (very nice) only mention the ATTO card as qualified for my configuration, a G4 450 AGP. I have a Miles U2W, and it'd be cool if it worked. (Otherwise, guess I'll sell it and my 'cuda and get a new ATA drive--hell, I might do that anyway...)

thanks!
Old 12-20-1999, 09:29 AM

Default Re: initio scsi cards?

ditto message

[This message has been edited by Shaggy Dog (edited 12-20-99).]
Old 12-20-1999, 09:31 AM

That very same SCSI card works great on a B+W G-3 with Vision 4.2.1c- Smart SCSI had problems with 8.6 but the new firmware provided the fix. Download their lasted firmware (stick it in you Smart SCSI folder) and update your driver.

Does this make the Miles U/W Card a firmware driven card. Anybody?
Old 12-20-1999, 09:31 AM

ditto ditto message(sorry-bb was slow to post)

[This message has been edited by Shaggy Dog (edited 12-20-99).]
Old 12-20-1999, 11:30 AM

Sorry, but no joy (at least for me). I have the same card in my 8500/400 (XLR8 card) and I had to toss SoftRAID and reinitialize with the Apple Drive Setup (crashed the first time through, but do it again and it works) and then crank all the transfer rates down to 10MB. It works, but every other minute you get "The PCI bus is too busy to talk with the adapter" or whatever DAE error that is, and you have to go through that error twice before you get connected again.

It's very annoying, but they should be able to fix it as I have easily recorded 8 tracks simultaneously and played back far more. It seems like a hiccup in the system somewhere.

It could be that my 8500's bus is just too slow for everything to be happening at once...I might try cranking down the accelerator below 400 MHz and see if that helps. Eventually, I will pick up a Sawtooth (or hopefully the multiprocessor G4 instead...imagine, once they AltiVec accelerate, the reverbs that could be run on that...with the software synthesizers alongside!). You might have no problem with your machine with this card.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 12-20-1999, 08:01 PM

Check the recent technical updates at digidesign.com. You'll find that Digi advises that the 001 system doesn't currently like SCSI accelerators. (And, after I dropped all that cash from an Adaptec 2940U2W.)
Old 12-21-1999, 07:26 PM

that kind of ******too since when you call in to tech support they tell you to get a scsi drive and that digi works better with scsi drives, or that's what they told me.
Old 12-23-1999, 12:12 AM

You'll find that Digi advises that the 001 system doesn't currently like SCSI accelerators.

Wrong.

What we say is: a SCSI subsystem isn't required with the 001. It's an option.

You can use ATA drives on the internal ATA bus, or SCSI drives with an accelerator.

Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

--Steve Rosenthal, Digidesign ETS
Old 05-05-2000, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steve Rosenthal:
[B]You'll find that Digi advises that the 001 system doesn't currently like SCSI accelerators.

Wrong.

What we say is: a SCSI subsystem isn't required with the 001. It's an option.

You can use ATA drives on the internal ATA bus, or SCSI drives with an accelerator.

__________-
But Steve,

Does the performance of Pro Tools benifit from the SCSI or not? If it does:
-Which SCSI should I get? U2W? UW ? U2 ?

Help us out....
Let's talk SOUND.... not features!
Old 05-05-2000, 02:56 PM

I guess that digidesign just doesn't have time to test all the systems that work so they've only been recommending the ATTO card. I was given an Orange Micro 906 for free so I installed it even though there have been a lot of problems with the G4 and this card. I don't really like what it does to my boot times, but I does actually seem to work. I haven't recorded using it, but I have been able to play back all my old protools project sessions that are in 16 bit without a problem. I have two internal maxtor 7200 rpm drives (30 and 27 gig) and they work just fine except that there is a delay of up to 5 seconds from the time you press record until recording actually begins. However they were both around $380 canadian after sales tax so whatever....