Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-1999, 09:30 AM

Default new G4 or old G4?

I have been told that the digi001 is only approved with the "OLD G4"... which as I understand it, is, the OLD G4 is really just a G3 with the G4 chip.... also... it has the PCI graphics card.... where the new G4 is the newest insides, and uses the AGP graphics card... which is as of yet, not approved by digi...

Is anyone using the new G4 with the DIGI001?? and have you had any problems??

Old 12-16-1999, 05:08 PM

Default Re: new G4 or old G4?

Check for some of my other posts. The only problem I had was non-G4 specific. It had to do with the partioning software on the audio drive.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-16-1999, 05:30 PM

Hey i have a g4 450 with 256 ram.Loaded protools 001 works so far.waiting on a scsi card .Tech support won't tell me anything .
The g4 450 is still not supported that cracks me up.i wish they would give me the low down.It must be highly classified info,Ha Ha !!!!!
Any one else have some more info pass it on to me thanks.
SPIDEE
Old 12-17-1999, 09:36 AM

I understand that at the moment only Adobe Photoshop takes advantage of the 128 bit velocity engine on the G-4. All other apps perform the same as the G-3. Does anyone know if this is correct?

(A saddened VISION user looking to go PT 5.0 and 001 but wonder if I can really mix 24 tracks with what I have...G-3/ 400)

New to this BB.

Shaggy Dog
Old 12-19-1999, 08:32 PM

I don't know if Digi is planning on re-working PT5LE for the velocity engine. Steinberg will be coming out with a Cubase version that uses it, so I would expect that all other major players will follow suit (hint, hint...).

I believe I read that the G4 is something like 15-20% faster than the G3 at comparable chip speeds - without the application using the VE.

------------------
Larry W.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-20-1999, 08:28 AM

Is that because of the 3x memory bandwidth of the G-3?

Why wait for the dual processor model...
because it seems to me that any G-4 is (soon) going to be a monster.
Old 12-20-1999, 08:52 AM

Logic audio has already been partially optimized for G4. Emagic has reportedly been able to get 64 stereo tracks of playback while only using 50% of the cpu horsepower - not bad. Plugins haven't been optimized yet - they say it's more complicated and that audio plugins aren't especially suited for altivec (velocity engine) code.

Mike
Old 12-20-1999, 10:46 AM

Hmmm. I'd think it depends on what the plug does. Anything using Fast Fourier Transforms (I think EQs and filters, at least, fall into this class), could expect a pretty good boost, according to Apple. At http://developer.apple.com/hardware/...c/summary.html it's stated that FFT's get a 3.6x speedup using altivec. That's not too shabby.

As far as the difference between G3 and G4s, there's a great article at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3CARDS/XLR8G4/G4vsG3.html. It looks like there are only minor differences between the G3 and G4, outside of the new AltiVec hardware.

[This message has been edited by zavijah (edited 12-20-99).]