Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Re: How to properly setup the original Mbox with the MOTU 828mkII for monitor control

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankely View Post
I like it.

The only time that it's a PITA is if I want to record thru Digi plugins.

That doesn't work to good for guitars and vocals as the MBox has a pretty high latency.

But, for recording thru the plugins from MainStage or GTRSolo it works awesomely. I set the MOTU to a 64 buffer. Leave the MBox/Pro Tools set to a 1024 buffer and use the mix control on the MBox to create a blend of the tracks from Pro Tools and the inputs from the MOTU when recording.

Gnarly !!!
Good to hear! I'll be only be using my MOTU 828mkII as an audio interface, no live recordings or such. Just track out my work from my hardware drum machine into Pro Tools, listen to the stuff and so on
Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Cool Re: How to properly setup the original Mbox with the MOTU 828mkII for monitor control

I like it like that too.

I also have an older digital console light-piped to the MOTU.

I used to use DIGI001 (two of them actually) but their time has passed and I've yet to get into the newer 002&003's.

I don't often record into Pro Tools, more than a guitar line and occasionally a vocal, so the MBox has worked out OK.

But having the MOTU/MBox combo with the digital console (rarely used) gives some ability to have more things patched in and ready to be routed to the MBox for recording.

Eventually a 002 or 003, as it would be nice to have the lower latency and I/O. I kinda miss that flexibility that I had with the DIGI001/MOTU828/KORG168RC (digital console) that was my previous setup. As above, after Pro Tools 6.4 and then moving to a laptop setup, the DIGI001s was obsoleted (Damn !!! LOL).

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Re: How to properly setup the original Mbox with the MOTU 828mkII for monitor control

Quote:
I like it like that too.

I also have an older digital console light-piped to the MOTU.

I used to use DIGI001 (two of them actually) but their time has passed and I've yet to get into the newer 002&003's.

I don't often record into Pro Tools, more than a guitar line and occasionally a vocal, so the MBox has worked out OK.

But having the MOTU/MBox combo with the digital console (rarely used) gives some ability to have more things patched in and ready to be routed to the MBox for recording.

Eventually a 002 or 003, as it would be nice to have the lower latency and I/O. I kinda miss that flexibility that I had with the DIGI001/MOTU828/KORG168RC (digital console) that was my previous setup. As above, after Pro Tools 6.4 and then moving to a laptop setup, the DIGI001s was obsoleted (Damn !!! LOL).
I hear the preamps alone on the original Mbox sounds a lot better than the 002/003, but the converters on the 002/003 sounds better than the original Mbox, but that doesn't bother me because I tend to add an Apogee converter to my arsenal going INTO the Mbox via S/PDIF. Have you ever tried anything like this before?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 AM

Cool Re: How to properly setup the original Mbox with the MOTU 828mkII for monitor control

Mmmmmm....

No. LOL.

My system is stoopid simple. I've thought about experimenting with externally clocking and stuff to check out how it does things. Haven't gotten there yet.

What are your findings?

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Mmmmmm....

No. LOL.

My system is stoopid simple. I've thought about experimenting with externally clocking and stuff to check out how it does things. Haven't gotten there yet.

What are your findings?
No worries, my rig is stoopid simple as well, but I wanted and tend to keep it that way. I only use my setup at home to do rough sketch work. That's why I chose the Mbox, I just wanted Pro Tools, so I could just throw all the audio files in a Pro Tools session and take it with me to a major studio where it gets tossed on a big HD rig