How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Default tracks and master bus levels during mixing

Hi everybody

I've got a question about PT mix engine and track levels.

Let's say we are mixing a session where the tracks are recorded hot, peaking around -6dbFS.

Obviously if the more track count, the more the master bus is going to overload, so we have those options:

- place a trim plugin on the tracks and attenuate them a bit, then do additional balance with the fader

- attenuate the master fader

what technically is happening into the mix bus?

there is any benefit in keeping the master fader at unity, as normally is done when mixing on an analog console?

or is ok to attenuate the master fader?

another thing, it's true that some plugins work better when they have input levels next to 0dBFS?

I guess all these questions relate to the architecture of the digital system, so I hope some experts will answer and explain things a bit.

Thanks in advance

Giacomo
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Default Re: tracks and master bus levels during mixing

I prefer to work the channels not the master, I work in post and when ever a mixer messes with the mast they messup the alignment tones (but this my by my privet hell)

I've never heard of plug-ins that work better closer to 0, I've hear plug-ins clip because there being driven to close to 0

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig