Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Default Timecode entry suddenly had +1h offset, Hickup/Bug?

Hey folks,
last friday I had a recording session, very simple just 3-4 vo tracks, 2 stereo playback and MJPEG-A video.
Suddenly TC entry (* num pad) - which I constantly use - started adding 1 hour to all my entries.
thus:
01452309 -> 02:45:23:09

A complete restart (OS&hardware) fixed it.
Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Timecode entry suddenly had +1h offset, Hickup/Bug?

Hi Felix

There is a bug with the timecode counter which I demonstrated to DIGi UK way back in pt 6.4 where if you use an offset (i.e a plus or a minus to go to a relative offset ) and mis-type it can get its knickers in a twist and be 10 hours out of sync! I will try and found out the exact keystrokes required to upset it.

Maybe you did something similar?

The solution to avoid a reboot if you are using the big counter (as I do - being somewhat myopic) is to bring up the transport window and use the counter there instead (or vice a versa).

kind regards

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 AM

What Mike says. There is a bug in all recent versions, intermittent, although I don't think it adds an exact hour, here it tries to locate to the end of the timeline. For me it happens only after using audiosuite. I also think it might be caused only by pitch/time operations, but I am less certain of that. What I know is that it never happens when I am only mixing. It happens very regularly when I am doing serious editing, but not predictably. My workaround is to enter times into the smaller IN window until I can quit and relaunch PT. Here, I cannot just relaunch PT, haven't been able to do that for years because the MIDI driver breaks once PT closes, so a system restart is required in order to relaunch. It is a very annoying bug, but until someone can figure out exactly what causes it, a fix seems unlikely.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 AM

Yup, this bug happens to me a few times a week. It seems that if you hit "=" enter a TC location, and then change your mind by not hitting "enter" and continue working in the Edit window, that the next time you actually commit to a TC location, the weird offset is added. No way to use that window again until an app relaunch.

By the way, I too have seen this behavior since 6.x.

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your responses.
entering into the big counter on the transport window still did give me +1h, didn't try the small "start" field.
And it did always add exactly 1 hour.

I'm (luckily) not able to reproduce this bug. It has only happend once.
I was not using audiosuite or elastic in that session, not even on that prog launch.

btw, I have always used num pad* for entering tc positions (right next down key from the eject button on my keyboard). I just noticed num pad = does the same (under volume louder)