Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Hey DIGI! How about a DSP "LE" card?

It has been mentioned before in this forum, that it would be nice with a "light" DSP card for Pro Tools LE .. that way we would get a taste of what the "real" Pro Tools is like, without having it all, right? Just like with Pro Tools LE ..
I mean with all the competition from Mackie's UAD and TC Powercore, Digidesign would probably win much by producing a "DSP LE" card for it's LE-users. It would definately not compete with HD or any of the larger systems as it would be limited to a certain amount of plugins without the option to buy several "LE" cards (although it would be nice if one could have more than one, but then it would be a competition to the larger DSP farm cards)
Just a thought that welcomes a response from Digidesign [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Ciao!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Hey DIGI! How about a DSP "LE" card?

Barhab,

I hate to break it to you but we will not see such a product. Early in 001's life cycle Universal Audio (not a popular name to many people here from a recent online catastrophe), developed a dsp card for use with the pt le. I do beleive digi would have let it come out too if they hadnt bit the hand that fed them. In 2000 they sent out a mass mailing claiming how the ua audio dsp card was like 10 times more powerful then the tdm farm card. They compared specs with similar (not the same), pluggins, and it really pissed of digi by trying to take away from digi's tdm market. A few days later a follow up email arrived stating a sarcastic apology and a statement saying how their dsp card would no longer support pt.

Honestly why dont you simply purchase a killer new system off of Allens thread. From what i understand from some user testimonies, their system can skunk the whole full tdm setup, and compete with hd system (minus the track limit).

You wont see a product like this come out from digi i assure you.

Christian
Old 03-27-2003, 11:41 PM

Not going to happen, PTLE + DSP card = TMD system.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 12:25 AM

What is a DSP Card?

DJ
Old 03-28-2003, 01:11 AM

A DSP card has it's own processor to do the calculations for audio recording or plugins tweeking. We "native" Digi 001/002 mbox guys use the PC processor to do this.

Pieter
Old 03-28-2003, 06:54 AM

Yeah, the HD systems all have DSP chips, which means that 90% of the power comes from the cards, thats why an HD2 can do alot more than an HD1, because it has the extra DSP card. Thats why, with a TDM system that uses DSP cards, its less important to have a good PC, while with LE, all the processes are 'native' which means that it uses the CPU of the PC for everything. One the main differences between LE and TDM is DSP. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]