Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Default ITB Rogues

This has happened beforw, but today with clients.

About 10 minutes into a playback, the dialog started sounding thin. The bass frequencies just sort of disappeared, as if over the course of a couple of seconds I had rolled off below 200hz. It was very obvious something was wrong and the three people with me in the room all looked at me. I stared at the PT screen and said something like "this is not real... it is not our mix". I stopped, re-cued to a point a couple of seconds before the problem, pressed play and... nothing was wrong. All sounded perfectly normal so our playback continued. Later in the mix I noted a small click from a music track that shouldn't have been there. I verified it was related to automation somehow (with automation turned off on that track, it did not happen) but I checked every automation lane for volume and every plugin parameter, and found nothing. I manually did a write to all enabled across the spot and it disappeared. Whatever it was, it was not there yesterday when I played through the section.

In the past I've heard random strange noises, odd pan moves, wrong playback volume from a track. Such things do not happen often, you might say only rarely, just enough to make me very mistrustful of PT12. Things like this are why I never, ever, output mixes or stems without LISTENING to them.

Oh, about 20 minutes after the above happened, our video playback suddenly became very choppy, stuttery. This has happened once before so I knew what to do. Stop and start. Problem did not come back for the rest of the day

Someone earlier today wrote that PT is currently a train wreck. Maybe they are not wrong.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:38 PM

Default Re: ITB Rogues

Postman has more experience than I do, but I'm finding the level of anomalies during playback to be the same as always: pretty minimal. I had a very occasional subtle glitching in the center channel that was fixed by trashing the .PIO file for the audio interface (Ensemble in this case).

Maybe we're in the minority, but I'm not really interested in new features. All we want is compatibility with new computers and operating systems, and stability. Tell Avid no new features!
Old 03-12-2016, 05:18 AM

I've noticed very low level crackling on a session sometimes and had a leg of the 5.1 output disappear.
Both need a re-boot to fix them.

These are the worst kind of bugs, they're so difficult to pin down and really undermine confidence in Pro Tools.

However with PT12 I'm consistently able to do 10 hour days without any crash apart from occasional video engine problems, so it does have a plus side.

I think perhaps a re-boot before an important play-out is always a good idea.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
However with PT12 I'm consistently able to do 10 hour days without any crash apart from occasional video engine problems, so it does have a plus side.
Very true when talking about crashes. Very true. Maybe one crash here per week of hard use.

Quote:
I think perhaps a re-boot before an important play-out is always a good idea
Good advice. What I didn't mention before is, my first post was based on the first session of the day. Booted at 9am, loaded in the session, made coffee, etc. Clients arrived at 9:30, started playback to get everyone's attention then stopped. Started playback a 2nd time with no stops until the dialog problem above.

Quote:
All we want is compatibility with new computers and operating systems, and stability. Tell Avid no new features!
+1
Stability and bug fixes were specifically promised as part of the subscription model. I'd say no new features UNTIL bugs are fixed. I will happily pay for stability and reliability. I am not happy to pay for my continuing lack of confidence.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:40 AM

I'll see an automation lag every now and then. The most noticeable will be a high pass filter activating slightly after it should and give me a thump at the start of a clip.