Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-24-2021, 06:04 AM

Default MIDI not loading

Went to use my new Harrison Mixbus v7 with my Artist Control like I used to with Mixbus v6 but the MIDI ports aren’t showing up. The Euphonix device is there in Audio MIDI setup but shows as inactive/not connected. Restarting EUCON and machine doesn’t fix it. Implementation has always been sketchy, have done my usual troubleshooting save for reinstalling. Mac Pro 7,1, OS 10.15.7.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:48 PM

Default Re: MIDI not loading

Best to hit up Harrison on this one

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-24-2021, 03:27 PM

Nah, it’s EUCON. Have had to troubleshoot it in previous EUCONs on my old 5,1 system. Again, device appears in AMS but it is not “connected” - all 32 ports are there but it doesn’t see the MIDI device, even though it IS “Euconized”. I just don’t want to do the rigmarole of uninstall/reinstall like I have so many times before, especially since I have my prefs set so nicely now and there are so many more choices to get wrong when doing a clean install.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:44 AM

Yep, uninstall/reinstall fixed it. And then I remembered that the "Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" box is greyed out unless in PT... annoying. If only I could just configure the hardware.

The MIDI implementation is still rough. It's better than before when it would take multiple rounds of messing around with uninstall/reinstall before it would work, including a "clean install" script that they've fortunately now built into the installer as the "Uninstall" option. But adding programs or changing the configuration in the prefs pane to enable Mackie/MIDI control of another program prompts for a EUCON restart, but that hasn't worked properly in some time... perhaps because the program didn't restart, when I added the new version of Mixbus and deleted the old version from the prefs pane, it buggered the MIDI communications somehow.

Eddie and the team have done wonders with the platform, but I still have a pet peeve or two that have never been fixed, and now with the Artist line EOL'ed, I long for the days of my robust and predictable Command 8. I've never been able to mix with my eyes closed on my Artist Control like I could with my Command 8... just can't trust the hardware, and I feel bad having spent that money on something that has just never worked "properly", never mind all the (sincerely!) wonderful additional features and fixes that have trickled down through the years, from Kyle and now Eddie.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Avid

"Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" is a PT feature. It would other DAW's to implement for it to work with them...and will never work with Mackie Control as that protocol is never updated.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
"Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" is a PT feature. It would other DAW's to implement for it to work with them...and will never work with Mackie Control as that protocol is never updated.
I get that, and I have no problem with that part of the implementation. My difficulty comes from having to load ProTools just to be able to configure that section. Minor annoyance, not a show-stopper... just not sure why that needs to be so, especially e.g. in my case where I'm doing an uninstall/reinstall to fix an issue, I have to start PT for no good reason just to restore prefs. My Mac Pro 7,1 makes that a quick extra step, but an extra step nonetheless, and for those on a slower machine a PITA; further, I don't recall anywhere saying what the remedy to the grayed out options is if someone less experienced in troubleshooting is staring at the screen wondering why they can't put their old config back in.

And again - somehow the MIDI implementation is still not 100%, which necessitated this in the first place. My post was less about asking for help and more about calling attention to this long-standing issue that apparently still lingers on as a bug. No troubleshooting possible, and the EUCON restart that is prompted when changing MIDI assignments in the EUCON "System Preferences" prefs pane doesn't happen, which maybe causes the issue. This is a problem with the EUCON configuration script. Only an uninstall/reinstall fixed it.

But when the status bar for the footswitch in EUCON prefs now reads "Footswitch text" rather than the "closed/open" that it correctly used to say, I guess... sometimes these things slip through. That's human and acceptable. But when these issues have been reported (by me personally) and not acted on in a relatively prompt fashion (prefs panes restart - years, footswitch status - used to work, broke sometime last year longer ago in one of the EUCON updates), one wonders about how it is that these things that get through get fixed, and when. If this is a showstopping bug - can we rely on Avid to fix it?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:25 PM
Avid

The options are only available for a DAW that supports them. If they were there all the time then a user without PT could change them, not only causing issues, but way more confusing.

I'm sorry for the MIDI config issues. Are you saying that now the main issue is that after a change in the EUCON Mackie/MIDI Control panel it says restart but doesn't and you have to do it manually?

I'll get the guys to remove that text from the Footswitch box when not connected. The system doesn't know you have one connected until its activated for the first time, so I agree it would be hard trouble shooting but there's not much we can do due to the way the hardware works.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The options are only available for a DAW that supports them. If they were there all the time then a user without PT could change them, not only causing issues, but way more confusing.

I'm sorry for the MIDI config issues. Are you saying that now the main issue is that after a change in the EUCON Mackie/MIDI Control panel it says restart but doesn't and you have to do it manually?

I'll get the guys to remove that text from the Footswitch box when not connected. The system doesn't know you have one connected until its activated for the first time, so I agree it would be hard trouble shooting but there's not much we can do due to the way the hardware works.
Regarding item 1 - do like the Pete Gates utility. Warn that PT is running (or not) as benefits the user. My issue is not that it's greyed out, but that there is no clear explanation for why and what the work-around is, unless I should RTFM which I admit I haven't since EUCON was named v2-3.x.

Regarding item 2 - "EUCON restart" has been broken (at least in MY system) for a while. I believe I had e-mailed about this, whether with you or Kyle S, I'm not sure, but I think it was you (Kyle was SO long ago!). On changing the MIDI config, the prompt comes up that says "doing this will restart EUCON" (or similar message). EUCON does NOT restart, though, and I remember when it did (didn't it at one point require a system reboot entirely?). In any case, here, in OS 10.15.7, I simply deleted the working old Mixbus app and added the new Mixbus app. No EUCON restart. Euphonix MIDI device was there in AMS but greyed out as if "not connected". Tried restarting EUCON manually, no dice. Tried rebooting, no dice. Nothing worked except uninstall/reinstall, at which point it worked properly again as it usually does.

Regarding item 3 - used to follow the hardware test screen that indicated that the switch was in an open or closed state. Currently unresponsive and just shows "Footswitch text" or some such static thing, but using the hardware test mode on the Artist Control shows that the hardware is responding properly, and indeed it works for control in PT. Would simply be nice if the text followed the hardware test again, the actual FUNCTION seems to be fine despite the config screen saying otherwise.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:44 PM
Avid

um...we are seeing that text box update OK with open and closed text. Which OS are you on ?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
um...we are seeing that text box update OK with open and closed text. Which OS are you on ?

Interesting.

MacOS 10.15.7. Latest EUCON, haven’t installed PT2021.3 yet but latest version prior. Issue persists after latest (yesterday) install/reinstall.

Thanks for checking!