Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM

Default Pro Tools not saving work even though I hit save and get no errors

This has only happened twice up to this point, and it happened several weeks apart from each other, making it hard to determine if there is a commonality between the 2 occurrences, but it is absolutely frightening.

With clients in room during a mix review, I am constantly hitting save while implementing client notes. I save CONSTANTLY. Like every 30 seconds. Pro Tools crashed, had to restart, etc. When I got back to open the session, the saved session was 3 hours old. I lost 3 hours of work implementing client notes and had to redo all of the work again, while the clients were none too pleased. Also, the auto file backups were non-existant for those 3 hours as well.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any possible ideas on the cause of this?

Pro Tools 10.3.7 - HD2
OS 10.8.5
32GB RAM
Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not saving work even though I hit save and get no errors

Is the drive you're saving to a separate drive from the system drive? Is it going to sleep a any point? The auto-backup files should be in a folder marked as such and that folder inside the session folder. I'd check all cables going to the drive. Replace as necessary/possible. One possibility and it's not a good one is that the drive is going south.

QAPLA!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM

We are using the SNS EVO to save all of our projects from multiple systems in one centralized place(http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/evo/).
The system in question has it's own dedicated 10Gb line directly connecting it to the device. I don't think it is a problem with the EVO or any of the drives in it, as none of the other systems hooked up to it have had the same issue, and it has happened on the same computer twice.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:22 PM

I am having a similar problem when an error occurs during midi recording. I am forced to quit Pro Tools (because the 'access violation' prompt keeps appearing and makes the system unusable) from the task manager in Windows. Then I restart PT and reload the session, only to see the latest midi clips are gone despite having saved the session at almost every take. I wouldn't say it wipes the latest three hours of work but maybe 5 to 10 minutes of tracking are usually gone when that happens. Didn't happen very often, maybe three times lately, using PT every day and doing basically the same midi recording stuff for now. I can't describe in greater detail the kind of error, I can say it happens when I record clips with loop play and dynamic transport active. I use a Novation Zero with Automap for transport controls while recording. Anyway the fact that it doesn't save correctly is worse.