Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 09:06 AM

Default digi dither preferences

hi. do you know how to change the dither plugin in the preferences window? I'd like to change the default (digidesign dither) with another. thank you!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: digi dither preferences

A couple of clarifying questions since I'm not near a system:

1. Where does this particular dither (that is referenced in the preferences) get used in the mix?

2. Why do you want to change it?

Nika
Old 11-11-2004, 02:30 AM

Hi. I think it's used to dither during bounce, and I'd like to change it because I don't like digi dither.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:38 AM

1. Used to dither from what bit depth to what bit depth? Is this the dither that gets us from 48 bit to 24 bit? Or is this the dither that gets us from 24 bit to 16 bit?

2. Why don't you like it?

Nika
Old 11-11-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Hi. I think it's used to dither during bounce, and I'd like to change it because I don't like digi dither.
Dither during bounce is not a preference. Just put the desired dither plugin on the master and you're set.

-Robert
Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dither during bounce is not a preference. Just put the desired dither plugin on the master and you're set.

-Robert
Robert is right. You have to go into you preferences and disable the default dither, "digidesign dither" and what ever dither plugin you have on the master fader is the dither that will be used.
What is the dither you prefer?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Robert
Robert is right. You have to go into you preferences and disable the default dither, "digidesign dither" and what ever dither plugin you have on the master fader is the dither that will be used.
I don't think this is right. I don't think you have to disable the preference to dither during the bounce in the way Robert addressed. I believe this "Digidesign Dither" is used for something else in the mix engine. If he really wants to change this I want to know why. If he wants to just bounce the mix bus and use different dither he can do that without switching the preference. So I want to know why he wants to switch the pref.

Nika
Old 11-15-2004, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Robert

I don't think this is right. I don't think you have to disable the preference to dither during the bounce in the way Robert addressed. I believe this "Digidesign Dither" is used for something else in the mix engine. If he really wants to change this I want to know why. If he wants to just bounce the mix bus and use different dither he can do that without switching the preference. So I want to know why he wants to switch the pref.

Nika
I suppose that the dither in the preferences is to dither during bounce. is it not for it?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:07 AM

It says clearly (in the prefs.): AudioSuite Dither. I think it is used for fades too.
BTD dither is controlled from the master fader insert

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 11-15-2004, 07:05 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Digi Dither is also used for all internal bit-depth reductions in the mix and aux busses, including faders, pans, etc. Therefore, this dither DOES have an effect on a bounce - especially one that stays at 24 bits. This type of bounce has Digi Dither all over it.

Is the question specifically regarding dither down to the 16 bit level? If that is the case then it definitely only happens with a plug-in of choice that the user puts on the master bus. But this isn't to say that this negates all of the uses of Digi Dither that happen internally. Capiche?

Nika