Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Default Process card failed Digi test, but works as far as i can tell?

Hi,

After one of my process cards went belly-up about a month ago, i purchased one off fleabay from a seller with 100% good feedback. but when it arrived today it failed Digi test. i have switched slots and flex cables but its the card has the same errors every time...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...carderrors.jpg

It seems to be working ok! well i have run a session with the card loaded with TL Space reverbs and i can't hear or see any problems so far.

is it going to raise its ugly head ay some time? or can these things carry on working ok with no issues. any experiences of this.

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Process card failed Digi test, but works as far as i can tell?

It has bad ram, and will probably behave like a PC that has the same problem. It'll work fine, until the ram fills up to the point where the problem is, then it'll go off the deep end. You might experience crashes, corrupted audio...it's a real crap shoot.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodo View Post
It has bad ram, and will probably behave like a PC that has the same problem. It'll work fine, until the ram fills up to the point where the problem is, then it'll go off the deep end. You might experience crashes, corrupted audio...it's a real crap shoot.
Yes i think thats the worst case scenario.

from the digi test it looks like memory failure on DSP D and DSP G which i guess is chips 4 and 7 of the 9 chips, which tallies with what happens with some plugins....

Most plugins seem to work on chips 4 & 7. the only plug that exhibits any problem so far is Digi long delay, which makes a regular clicking sound when it instantiates on those chips 4 or 7. now other plugins can go to those chips and work fine? TL Space/ Eventide reverb/ VSS3 etc.

The cost and time it would take to get it back to Digi to repair or exchange would probably out-way the cost of its purchase! All i have to do now is decide if its worth keeping or try to get a refund

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Yah, a refund sounds like the most cost effective way to go. Digi's bench charge will be almost as much as you probably spent on the card.

I had the same issue with an accel card and it gradually got worse, to the point where I could hardly use the system at all. They replaced it and all of the problems disappeared.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
The cost and time it would take to get it back to Digi to repair or exchange would probably out-way the cost of its purchase!
I would try to get a discount from the seller and send the card to Digi for repair. Digi has a fixed price for card replacements and while I can't remember the price it's not that expensive...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastaViking II View Post
I would try to get a discount from the seller and send the card to Digi for repair. Digi has a fixed price for card replacements and while I can't remember the price it's not that expensive...
Hi,

Yes i've seen 3-4 various prices by different people so i'm not sure how much it will cost. As its not a registered card i would have to call the paid helpline to enquire about repair, and i'm not sure if unregistered cards can be repaired/replaced? anyone know?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
As its not a registered card i would have to call the paid helpline to enquire about repair, and i'm not sure if unregistered cards can be repaired/replaced?
Hm, not good. You need to do a transfer of ownership which should be standard when you buy s/h Digi gear. Without that things get a bit iffy. Call tech-support in CAL or write them an email. They're usually quite helpful...
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Yes i've seen 3-4 various prices by different people so i'm not sure how much it will cost. As its not a registered card i would have to call the paid helpline to enquire about repair, and i'm not sure if unregistered cards can be repaired/replaced? anyone know?

Chris
Yah, unregistered cards can be repaired, you just can't get the complimentary loner card while you wait for the repair to be completed. The fixed cost is somewhere around $450 or $550 US. I forgot which, but somewhere in that ballpark.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yah, unregistered cards can be repaired, you just can't get the complimentary loner card while you wait for the repair to be completed. The fixed cost is somewhere around $450 or $550 US. I forgot which, but somewhere in that ballpark.
I wonder if they do discounts for 2 my second faulty process card in 1 month.

The card only cost me $499 plus shipping to UK and import tax.
so i could ask for a full refund and lose the shipping/tax and return delivery. would recoup $400. or keep the card and hope it continues to work most of the time (with a few work arounds) and get a part refund maybe.

price you pay for second hand goods

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 09-26-2009, 11:34 AM

That would be great, but don't hold your breath. The card that went bad on me was an accel card so it was worth the money to get it fixed. They actually just replaced it because they said it was too far gone to repair. It was also unregistered.

Good luck on your unfortunately costly situation.