Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2003, 10:03 PM

Default best way to defragment ProTools system drive?

it's running OS 9.2.1. also on the drive is OS X.
(installed as OS X with OS 9.)

can i just transfer contents to another drive, then erase the original drive/partition, then replace the contents?

is it better to use Disk Warrior or Norton Utilities in this case?

doing the transfer thing is preferred...
what's recommended?
Old 06-01-2003, 12:54 AM

Default Re: best way to defragment ProTools system drive?

You have the joy of dealing with your authorisations (unless you got an iLok) if you start fomatting things I think, i wouldnt risk just leaving them on. I one lost one of my SDII auths ages ago re-formatting.

Carbon Copy Cloner will let you do the copy process easily though. I think X is picky about moving it, but CCC definitely works.

http://software.bombich.com/ccc.html

Its an X app though.

I would reccomend having 9 and X on separate partitions - then its so much easier and quicker to fix up your 9 one, or flatten the X one when 10.5 comes out... then youre not upsetting the 9 partition and can carry on working... Or you can do the 'copy defreg' thing just by copying on to the other drive.

I guess it depends how you do most of your work though. Were stuck in 9 till we sort the fibre channel out for X, so using X is mostly 'experimentational' for us. So Its nice to know whatever we do on that partition will never upset the finely honed 9 one. If you never use X, you might as well just get rid of it. Depends on your upgrade plans though i suppose.

Sorry, getting a bit off track. I have to admit ive neglected defraging recently. For audio, if your recording on a separate drive, a Finder copy is the best ive been told. Everyone I know has been slating Norton recently, well, since v4. My mate raves about Disk Warrior for system stuff.

hope this is of some use, sorry, Im a bit tired.
'best
Tom
Old 06-01-2003, 04:18 AM

thomoose is right about partitioning. I highly recommend it. Partitioning keeps both systems totally separate, which I think improves performance, and it's much easier to troubleshoot problems.

As far as a defragger, I use Plus Optimizer. It comes with Disk Warrior 2.1 version but not with the new 3.0 for X but it doesn't matter. Plus Optimizer will defrag an OS X volume just fine. You'll have to restart from the DW cd to run PO.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:21 AM

Thomoose - you said
Quote:
We're stuck in 9 till we sort the fibre channel out for X
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and it caugt my eye.

We have a fibre channel problem here that I've been trying to get sorted out. We need a Windows2000/OS9 solution, but we'd also like to switch to OS X in the near future. So far, the only thing I've seen is Storage Network Solutions which has a new version of software shipping in less than 2 weeks. There are some caviats that I don't have any details on as yet, but it will probably be that they want us to use their HBAs.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss this. [email protected]
Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 AM

i'm currently using partitions. i installed the OS X / 9.2.2 on my PT partition because that is the config. that Digidesign tested my G4 with.
my G4 came with a set of cd's that includes 9.2.2, but won't let me install it on it's own.

can i take the OS 9 system and elements off the drive, erase the drive, and then put just the OS 9 / PT system back on.
otherwise, where do i get a cd for Mac OS 9.2.2?
is there anyone who's had problems running only 9.2.2 on a partition or drive with the MDD G4's?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:30 AM

Mark, I'll email yhou this week.

Felix,

I had a 4 card mix system in a G4 Dual 1ghz MDD, running of a 9.2.2 partition - no problems at all.

The easiest way to get a clean 9 install if you have one of the first series MDDs (ie the ones that support OS9):

- Make yourself a fresh partition
- boot into X
- Insert Restore CD 1
- Use find to search for an invisible file with "OS9" in the name on the CD.
- you should find a disk image called "OS9 General.dmg"
- double click this in the search results window. It should then mount.
- copy the contents onto your balnk partition
- boot of that partition and youve got a clean 9.2.2 system!

Thats what I did with my machine, and its worked a treat. Best thing is, it only takes about 2 minutes to do.

'best
Tom
Old 06-02-2003, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thomoose:
Mark, I'll email yhou this week.

Felix,

I had a 4 card mix system in a G4 Dual 1ghz MDD, running of a 9.2.2 partition - no problems at all.

The easiest way to get a clean 9 install if you have one of the first series MDDs (ie the ones that support OS9):

- Make yourself a fresh partition
- boot into X
- Insert Restore CD 1
- Use find to search for an invisible file with "OS9" in the name on the CD.
- you should find a disk image called "OS9 General.dmg"
- double click this in the search results window. It should then mount.
- copy the contents onto your balnk partition
- boot of that partition and youve got a clean 9.2.2 system!

Thats what I did with my machine, and its worked a treat. Best thing is, it only takes about 2 minutes to do.

'best
Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks Tom! that's brilliant! (or i'm just stupid for not figuring it out myself) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
i will do this. thanks again.