Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Missing ilok key

Hello everyone-
I know I've posted a lot of stupid questions here over the past month or so, but if anyone has any words of wisdom they'd be greatly appreciated.
I recently bought an mbox to take with me when i travel between my home and the studio i work in. On my flight home, one of my bags went stolen/missing. In that bag was my ilok key. I seperated my mbox and my key for just such a reason... so i wouldn't lose both. What do I need to do to get a replacement key with the correct authorization codes? I went to ilok's website, and they offer new keys, but they don't have the correct codes loaded onto them. Any ideas? thanks!

-jon-
Old 06-20-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Missing ilok key

did you register your ilok with the Ilok utility and website ? cause if you didnt i think your kinda screwed. if you did then just buy a new one and have them update that one with the new authorizations.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
did you register your ilok with the Ilok utility and website ? cause if you didnt i think your kinda screwed. if you did then just buy a new one and have them update that one with the new authorizations.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. If an iLok is lost or stolen, there is no way to get the authorizations back and they will not be replaced by anyone. If an iLok is broken, you can get send it in for repair and you won't lose the authorizations but if it is lost/stolen, there is nothing you can do. Currently, the only thing you can do to protect your investment is buy insurance for your iLok and I don't mean the insurance at iLok.com. I know it really, really sucks and I hope PACE get off their butt and find a solution for us.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:06 PM

wow that freakin blows. This hole time ive had this false sense of security. now im scared......
Old 06-20-2005, 02:10 PM

so..then I'm totally screwed and I can't use the mBox anymore? There's no way to get a replacement?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:15 PM

Your MBox will continue to function fine without your iLok.. only plug-ins with licenses will not function. I would contact your airline carrier and push them to recover your luggage. Otherwise contact your insurance carrier.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-20-2005, 02:22 PM

You can use your MBox, you just can't use any iLok authorized software.

You have 2 options: 1) Bend over, open up your wallet and re-purchase everything, or 2) Don't take no for an answer and press the issue.

Someone needs to fight this battle because the policy is ridiculous.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:24 PM

yeah, this is a total bummer. I should have said that I can use Pro Tools and record stuff, but certian plugins and such are non operational.... and that is a total bummer. Especially since our band's producer is coming out to do some work with us next week and we'd surely like to have a fully functional system. hmm... what to do.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:25 PM

-dupe. ignore-
Old 06-20-2005, 03:48 PM

Dude, you're way up [bleep] creek, without a paddle the the ominous banjo music (played by iLok) is getting louder.

The only way to fight this fight is to not buy iLok keys, and not use the software that requires an iLok authorization. I fully do not believe that iLok, or PACE Anit-Piracy, or Digidesign give a [bleep] about what happens to your productivity if your iLok key is lost or stolen.

No inssurance carrier will insure your plug-in authorizations.

You might succeed in getting the airline to recoupe your investment, if it was stolen while in their possesion.

Ilok is not about protecting your investment. It's about making sure that the legitimate owners of software authorizations only get to use it on one computer at a time. It's a method to ensure that the software developers get paid twice by the same person to use the same software authorization.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One