Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Default Artist Mix died again, in less than 3 months.

Went to turn my Mix on to work today and it just stared back at me. Called the support line and gave my support number, the one it was repaired with the first time. I told the tech what happened and he saw it was less than 3 months on the repair Artist Mix Died In The Middle Of A Session, so he gave me an RMA# and the Fed Ex account to ship it back with. Pretty cool.

BTW, it was the same component that failed the last time...this time it went a little more spectacularly...it was split across the middle and a trace had some browning from heat leading up to the part. It seems the tech only pulled the old part and put a new one in. I hope the cause for excessive current through these parts is figured out.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Artist Mix died again, in less than 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
Went to turn my Mix on to work today and it just stared back at me. Called the support line and gave my support number, the one it was repaired with the first time. I told the tech what happened and he saw it was less than 3 months on the repair Artist Mix Died In The Middle Of A Session, so he gave me an RMA# and the Fed Ex account to ship it back with. Pretty cool.

BTW, it was the same component that failed the last time...this time it went a little more spectacularly...it was split across the middle and a trace had some browning from heat leading up to the part. It seems the tech only pulled the old part and put a new one in. I hope the cause for excessive current through these parts is figured out.
That looks nasty. Do you know if your current is stable in your building? No spikes or the likes that could cause other appliances to go out with a boom.. like coffee pots and stuff like that in the past? This could be telling that you have fluctuating power and the spikes could be very damaging for your equipment.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
That looks nasty. Do you know if your current is stable in your building? No spikes or the likes that could cause other appliances to go out with a boom.. like coffee pots and stuff like that in the past? This could be telling that you have fluctuating power and the spikes could be very damaging for your equipment.
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a large UPS Powering my Mac Pro, my 2 video monitors, and my Artist Mix and Artist Transport and the small Netgear router. They are plugged into the 'protected' outputs... i.e. the filtered outputs that are also battery backed. The 'strange' thing about this setup is the Mac, video monitors, and the Artist Mix, all use 3 pin IEC connectors. The Artist Transport and the router use 'wall warts'.

This is not to say I have good clean power as I haven't put a line monitor on the supply for the Artist Mix, but since the other pieces of gear have been hooked up at the same time and being fed from the same source with no issues would tend to have me believe the power is at least as clean for the Mix as it is for the other pieces. I have another small ups with filtering that I'm thinking of branching off the AC supplying the big UPS and using that for just the Artist stuff and router.

Finally, all my appliances, TV's, etc. are a few years old and I have had no failures with any of that.

However, I'm getting nervous about continuing with this.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Do you have it so everything starts up at once?

It could be causing some spikes or whatever if you do...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Do you have it so everything starts up at once?

It could be causing some spikes or whatever if you do...
No, I usually turn on my 192 I/O first, then my Mac, then my console, my Big Knob, then my speakers (which are all on one strip. They consist of a pair of KRK Rokit 5's and a KRK sub, and a pair of very small Tascam monitors). The last things I power are the Artist Mix and the Transport. That is done while the Eucon icon is spinning so they can be recognized.

BTW, the first time this happened I was in the middle of a session, had been for about 5 hrs and then I heard a crack (between playbacks) and the Artist Mix went out. There was no noise in the monitors and all the other equipment continued on like nothing happened.

One thing I am wondering about is the inline PSU for the Artist Mix. That could be giving the Artist Mix spikes, but it may only do it under load.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
One thing I am wondering about is the inline PSU for the Artist Mix. That could be giving the Artist Mix spikes, but it may only do it under load.
I really wouldn't be able to tell you on that but here's my thought. I highly doubt it. Since there's nothing that goes through that consoles but some simple codes transfer (fader position, lcd display, push of a button or knob) the load is pretty minimalistic, even with the faders moving. It's not like if you have a couple of inputs outputs and preamps to provide power for.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I really wouldn't be able to tell you on that but here's my thought. I highly doubt it. Since there's nothing that goes through that consoles but some simple codes transfer (fader position, lcd display, push of a button or knob) the load is pretty minimalistic, even with the faders moving. It's not like if you have a couple of inputs outputs and preamps to provide power for.
I understand that. But I'm wondering if the supply itself may be 'noisey', especially under load. It's rated at 15V and 3800ma, which is pretty hefty. But, you have given me a couple of ideas to search with. I'm definitely going through my power and ground for the system.