Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 PM

Default imac 21.5 late 2009 3.06Ghz 12 gig RAM

Will this computer run PT 11? It's not under the supported list, only i5's from same year, and can't find this info anywhere. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Default Re: imac 21.5 late 2009 3.06Ghz 12 gig RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakertanner View Post
Will this computer run PT 11? It's not under the supported list, only i5's from same year, and can't find this info anywhere. Thank you.
You may try it but I doubt it that you will get happy trying to use it with PT11 and the latest versions of Mac OS.
I had the exact model of iMac once for the use with PTLE7, 8, 9 and 10.
And whatīs funny about it, I also had exact 12GB Ram as I used to upgrade only one slot with new 8GB, left the
other one with an older suitable 4GB bar I still had from another machine .

As I then experienced too many performance issues with PT10 already I noticed there would be no future with this
machine and future versions of Pro Tools. You know, this iMac still uses an i3 Core 2 Duo processor which is definitely
not enough power to run PT11 properly.
Actually PT11 requires an i7 Quad Core processor to work as it should, newer i5 Dual Core processors are still not
recommended but will do the job in most cases. An old i3 Core 2 Duo wonīt make you a happy PT11 user for sure.

As mentioned before you of course can try it however from my personal experience with this little machine I donīt
think this will work out finally.

If you are on a budget you could have look at this budget solution I have posted once. It uses a 2012 i7 Quad Core
Mac Mini, maxed out with 16GB Ram and 1-2 internal SSDs which definitely will work with Pro Tools 11 and Mac OS
Yosemite properly.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363011

If however money isnīt an issue for you I would definitely recommend to get one of those 2014/15 MacBooks Pro
with an i7 Quad Core processor (no i5 Dual Core), 16GB Ram and one of those super fast original Apple Flash drives.
These are that fast that you even could try to skip any additional audio drive and run your Pro Tools sessions from the
OS drive only. Given that you get enough space on the Flash drive for all your data.
These i7 Quad Core MacBooks Pro are one of the best machines for the use with Pro Tools 11 and approved by countless
pros. The most affordable model of it
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/ma.../A&step=config
The Pro standard model for PT11

Wishing you the best of success,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.

Last edited by VRW; 02-19-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Thank you for the in depth answer. I have been running PT 10 for a while now, and I get a decent amount of tracks and plugins (well over 75), with minimal stress. However, I want to upgrade to a faster computer for my mixing work and PT 11 as well as with a TB port for the Apollo Twin.

I saw the mini's 2012s..the new ones look interesting, but seem limited and not sure if they are worth it. Not sure why Apple decided to screw all of us audio people out, and make less of a machine than the year before.

Having said that...I have another studio that I work out of, that has a desktop 8 core pro machine, from 2009, and over 20 gigs RAM and PT11 works pretty good. A little glitchy at times, but usable. However, with such a powerful machine, and THAT can't even handle PT 11...how can a quad? Disappointing to hear that mine may or may not work.

I actually thought by upgrading to PT11, I would have BETTER performance, because of plugin allocation, and CPU processing and usage of all RAM...may make my machine run faster.

Thanks for the comment...helped.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I have been running PT 10 for a while now, and I get a decent amount of tracks and plugins (well over 75), with minimal stress.
Thatīs cool. I did not have the luck with my Core 2 Duo iMac+PT10 set up then .
Basically it used to work but I experienced a lot of errors and glitches with 10 finally.

Quote:
However, I want to upgrade to a faster computer for my mixing work and PT 11 as well as with a TB port for the Apollo Twin.
The Thunderbolt Twin is a great little box for the use with PT11, works great and sounds
great. Good choice!
Just better get the Duo as the Solo will be too limited power wise if you would want to use UAD plugs.

Quote:
I saw the mini's 2012s..the new ones look interesting, but seem limited and not sure if they are worth it. Not sure why Apple decided to screw all of us audio people out, and make less of a machine than the year before.
The 2012 i7 Quad Core Mini, maxed out with 16GB Ram and SSDs does work great with PT11.
I can confirm this from my personal experience. No glitches, no errors, lots of "headroom"
as to the CPU even with bigger sessions. Thatīs why I posted the thread about it.
Itīs a really cool, serious low budget solution for PT11+Yosemite.
But you definitely may stay away from the new Minis as they are not suitable for the use
with PT11 as they offer no good multicore performance which is needed for a well working PT11.

Quote:
I actually thought by upgrading to PT11, I would have BETTER performance, because of plugin allocation, and CPU processing and usage of all RAM...may make my machine run faster.
Theoretically it should be like that however in real life only with PT11HD you will really notice
a little bit of something like that, mainly because of disk cache which only HD offers.
Whatīs important, PT11 does need a decent multicore performance and a quite recent "architecture"
technical wise to work as supposed to.

Finally let me say, you of course can try to run PT11 with the i3 Core 2 Duo before you will give it
away but I rather would not recommend it.
I personally think it would be a good idea to get any recent i7 Quad Mac with a TB port and the Apollo
Twin. Thatīs great stuff for 11.
If you are on a tight budget even the 2012 i7 Quad Core Mac Mini with 16GB Ram will offer you a decent
and professionally usable PT11 performance.

All the best to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3.1, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:57 AM

Just a brief update.
In another thread another Core 2 Duo-user (Macbook Pro 2009) has confirmed
that actually he could get his system to work and PT11 does run on his system so far.
He wrote that it would not be large sessions and there would be less plugins engaged
but anyway it seems to work with his Core 2 Duo.
So if you havenīt got large sessions and you would not need to use lots of virtual
instruments and plugins, you may give it a try...
You just may be prepared to experience some issues but maybe you are lucky too and
you can use your iMac further on anyway. You will see.

Just wanted to tell you about it.

All the best to you,

VRW

Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks a lot VRW. A lot of good info. I found a trial of PT11, that i am going to try and run on my current system. I will however, eventually end up with a faster comp, and unfortunately, the 2012 minis are still rather expensive..fully loaded, for PT11. I will keep searching though and hopefully, find one at a decent price point. When you figure in the purchase of a good monitor, it becomes pricey. But I am sure, worth it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I found a trial of PT11, that i am going to try and run on my current system.
Maybe it will run on the iMac anyway, at least with small, non-demanding sessions.

Quote:
I will however, eventually end up with a faster comp, and unfortunately, the 2012 minis are still rather expensive..fully loaded, for PT11. I will keep searching though and hopefully, find one at a decent price point. When you figure in the purchase of a good monitor, it becomes pricey. But I am sure, worth it.
Let me show you a last option if you are on a really tight budget.
You for example could get a Mac Mini i7 Quad with the basic stuff and
upgrade it only with the really necessary parts for the beginning.
This would be 8GB Ram at least
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12...+CT2C4G3S160BM
$59.-

1x 7200rpm HDD for the OS drive (best HDD for audio on the market)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...lack+500gb+2.5
$54.-

Cost effective yet very good 24" monitor (Full HD, HDMI, 2ms response time!)
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS248H-P-...rds=Asus+VE248
$170.-

=$280-300.- max. for the upgrade stuff

Because you have been working with multiple Pro Tools systems you probably
have used an external drive for your Pro Tools sessions/audio files which you could
use further on (instead of the 2nd internal SSD of the more expensive Mini system).

This might be a really basic equipment as to the upgrades but it definitely would work with 11.
You could later upgrade the Mini with 16GB Ram and 1-2 SATA SSDs as suggested in the thread.
The good thing...the Ram and the SATA SSDs will only become more affordable in the future .

There are still 2012 MMi7 Quads available.
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mini-MD3...=mac+mini+2012

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-2012-A...3D231486541198

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mac-mini-i7

When looking for it on Ebay just be sure that itīs really an i7 QUAD CORE!
You could get an 2012 i7 Quad Core Mini with those basic upgrades for around $1200.-
all together (Mac Mini upgraded with 8GB Ram, 7200rpm HDD OS drive, Full HD monitor).
The cool thing with the 2012 Mini is that you will be able to upgrade it with any stuff in the future
yourself which will not be possible with any of the latest Macs.

On the other hand for $1999.- you could get a new i7 Quad Core Macbook Pro Retina
with one of those super fast 256GB Apple flash drives and 16GB Ram.
Really cool units however you never will be able to upgrade anything on these anymore.

Anyway.
Just as a suggestion.

Finally all the best to you once again and the best of success,

cheers, VRW

Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM

To the OP:
You might want to take a look at refurbs from Apple. Sometimes you run into decent machines for a decent price. That's how I got the system in my sig file

QAPLA!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 AM

Thanks to you both. So far PT11 works on my old ass iMac, but doesn't start every time smoothly.

I have actually been looking at ebay for the quad mini. Definitely i7. There are some good deals, so I'll def make use of it. Thank you for your replies.