Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-28-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Small Amp = Big Sound . . . Suggestions

Howdy Folks. Well, it's tax time and I'm thinking of buying a nice little tube amp for recording. The thing is, it *must* have a "big" sound, so tubes are a must. I've been looking at several amps, the Fender Pro Jr., the Fender Blues Jr., Gibson Goldtone 5, and the Carvin Vintage 16/5. All of these are around/under $500. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to test most of them. I've relied on Harmony-Central before, and many of the reviews are useful, but I don't want to go on that alone. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Carvin b/c for the money you're getting a lot of features. Also, three people I know have dealt with Carvin on several occasions. They have only been happy.

rockrev
Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Small Amp = Big Sound . . . Suggestions

Have you considered any of the Line 6 amps? I don't own one, but I've recorded several and mixed a bunch live. Being a tube amp guy myself, I've been really impressed. The combos sound great, and of course have a ton of effects that you can use. It depends on what you're looking for though. I still love my very little 72 Fender VibroChamp. One channel (2 inputs), bass and treble with the vibrato icing on top, I got it for $200 about 7 years ago. Don't shoot me for suggesting the Line 6, like I said I don't own one, but my brother does and I borrow it all the time.

As a side note, I really like Queens of the Stone Age and their guitar tones. Dave Catching, a guitar player that has played with them and also with Mondo Generator, was playing Line 6 when they played the club that I work at last time. That's when I started to look at them a little more seriously.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:35 AM

Well, I have a Line 6 POD 2.0 & that's what I've used so far (at least for my stuff). It's been used direct and as a pre-amp before - both with satisfying results. BUT after a session this past weekend I heard my POD basically put to death. It was amazing and heartwrenching at the same time. Nothing can compare to a nice layered tube amp. You can layer the POD all day long with nice results, but a nice tube amp will beat it.

Any other suggestions?

rockrev
Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Fender Tweed models 1955-1960. There are NO SUBSTITUTES in the tube tone department. Champ, Harvard, Princetons are all good and much cheaper than a Deluxe or Twin. Look on Ebay, they can still be had for not much more than a new Blues Jr.

You also might look for a Lexicon 284 if you can find one. I beleive they can still be found posted for sale on Ebay pretty often as well.

Amplitube is about as good as a Line 6 or Vamp, and comes free with PT, It's not in the same league as the old Fenders, but it can sometimes be used to tweak a track into some pretty good tone considering the guitar was recorded dry strait into PT.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 AM

Hey Rock,
I plugged into the Blues Jr. the other day and it sounded great. You get a great "blues" crunch. Not too much more than that though. Might not be the most versatile of amps but does have a great tone. Depends on what sound you are looking for I guess.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:00 PM

I'm with Fabco on this one, I'll extend that sentiment a little later as well.

There are some REALLY great sounding "Brink of CBS" silver faced champs out there, 64 - 66 that are considerably cheaper then their tweed, and blackface counterparts, that IMO sound just as great.

I play through "The old stuff" and always have, for a living, making modern, current, music.

I've recorded guitar tracks through this 66 champ, that you'd swear, was a "big ol amp" sitting in a "big ol' room"

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Best little combo for the studio. I am looking at one now.

I bought a 1965 Fender Bassman and love it.

Also the Fender Prosoniq is a killer head. Heck, the ole' school ADA MP-1 is a great little preamp if you pipe it through a fatass tube power stage.

Look at the small VOX amp too. 15 watter and awesome.

May look at the older 1985 Marshall JCM 800's too.

That is my suggestion. Not a huge fan of the Line 6 stuff. Sorry Third Eye.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I had to get rid of mine last year. I was sorry to see it go. Great amp. A little on the expensive side, though.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-28-2005, 12:34 PM

It's only money! C'mon.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON REVERBNATION

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 01-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Not a huge fan of the Line 6 stuff. Sorry Third Eye.

It's all good, that's why we are here to offer our suggestions. I was trying to shoot for around the same price as the poster said the other amps they were looking at were. The little vox amps are cool too for the money. I play through a Marshall JMP-1 into a Marshall 9100 power amp then into an old Orange cabinet. Falls under the big sound category, but not the small amp category.