Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2021, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Alternative to Waves MV2?

I love this plugin, but I do sometimes wish it didn't have the aggressive low mid bump (or that I could at least turn it off).
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
From MV2's manual:

Low Level
Sets the low level compression threshold. Compression is applied to signals below this threshold. (From bottom up)
Range: 0 to +48 dBFS

I don't get how the threshold can be above 0 dBfs? As I understand it, the low-level slider sets the maximum amount of low level upwards compression. And that user cannot set the actual threshold at all.

What do you think?
I get what you are saying, the scale they've used is a little confusion. In related to standard top down compression you might more expect to see it marked -60 or -48dB and upwards, or something like that. The way they've done it does seem more practice, though.

With the standard compression its very easy to tell how much your shaving off the top, but it wouldn't be as user friendly if it started at -48, you'd have to do the maths in your head. It's not hard maths, but if you have to work for it then its not as fast, not as intuitive. So my guess is they used a dB scale that was more user friendly.

Also consider that if its reasonable for a compressor to reduce signals under a threshold beginning at 0, then the inverse of that rule most also be acceptable. Increasing levels over a threshold beginning at 0.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 PM

Maxvolume form Waves is also an alternative. Its a bit cleaner sounding to my ears. It has a gate function in addition wich i find very usefull.

Boh Maxvolum and MV2 are great at evening out a dynamic signal.

But sometimes i feel they both sound kind of flat and steril compared to tracking with a hw compressor. Other times i think they sound more natural and less compressed cmpared to using outboard compression.