Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2016, 10:44 AM

Default Horrible Latency when recording in Pro Tools 11

My system suddenly developed horrible playback latency after installing Superior Drummer 2.0
When I record a guitar in it records the instrument almost latency free but the sound only comes out over a second later. This happens independent of the buffer size.

I've already deleted and reinstalled all audio drivers.
I'm using a Focusrite 2i4, Windows 7, an i5820k, 16GB of RAM and am running PT off an SSD. The interface is plugged into a USB 3 slot.

It's definitely a Pro Tools problem since I can play through Guitar Rig latency free outside of Pro Tools.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Horrible Latency when recording in Pro Tools 11

First thing to do is go to the VIEW menu>Mix Window Shows>check "Delay Compensation" so you can see what is happening. Now look across the bottom of the MIX window at the latency readings. Each track shows 3 numbers; top is whatever latency that track's plugins are causing. Middle number is amount of compensation(if any) and the bottom number is total compensation. when this all works correctly, the track with the highest plugin latency will show its numbers in orange, and all tracks will show the same TOTAL compensation(that bottom number). If you see the bottom number and its larger than the worst track's TOP number, you may have the same bug that I have. Sometimes(and I have yet to figure out why) my PT(11.3) will add over 2000 samples of compensation for no reason(and I hear the latency if I try to record). Since my sessions(all from a template session) have no active plugins with more than 7 samples, this 2,000(plus or minus) compensation is not needed. My solution is to go to the OPTIONS menu and UNcheck Delay compensation while recording(as soon as I kill the ADC, all the latency is gone). Once I finish tracking, I will turn compensation back on as I will also be enabling some plugins that DO have latency, and those DO need the compensation

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 06:03 PM

Hey Dave,

PT is applying the delay compensation equally across all channels. There are two channels that are running with 13389 samples of delay because of a very intensive plugin. It works now after deactivating them for now, it's just all a bit confusing to me.
I don't know why it happened after I installed Superior Drummer. They seem so completely unrelated...
It was working fine for almost two years up until this point.

Thank you for your help
Old 04-19-2016, 08:20 PM

Hmmm, yes that amount of latency would totally mess your timing. Having those numbers showing is a big help. I have Superior Drummer, but its not usually used in my sessions, so we are both still in the "head-scratching" phase of this one Which plugin had that much latency?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Recently had this problem, might want to do a disk speed test on your SSD drive. Mine died...had to throw it away Expensive! Use Blackmagic Disk Speed Test application. It's free.

Nathan