Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Default Im Upgrading to PT9 on Windows 7...Are you?

Hey, i haven't been on this forum for ages...but im finally making the jump from PTle7.3(or 4? cant remember) to PT9. So far through reading I'm kinda sitting here staring at the PT9 box now wondering if i should do it..Is there anyone that's got this working smoothly with no problems? I've never even upgraded to 8 because my 7.3 Le system was always stable and ran perfect. I use the 003. All the threads in here seem negative and Im a busy guy in my studio and canty afford to be down for days due to software issue's..

I'm putting Windows 7 Pro on my Pc...which has a Intel Quad @ 2.67ghz...4 gigs of ram...over a TB of hard drive space. Am i gonna regret this? lol.

thanks in advance to anyone that can tell me something good...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Im Upgrading to PT9 on Windows 7...Are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidood View Post
...never even upgraded to 8 because my 7.3 Le system was always stable ...
Take an Acronis Image of your current stable system and then have-at-it, knowing you can always get back to a stable config in about 1/2 hour or less. Acronis has saved me a few times, plus it lets me forge ahead - fearlessly. I can sleep at night.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Take an Acronis Image of your current stable system and then have-at-it, knowing you can always get back to a stable config in about 1/2 hour or less. Acronis has saved me a few times, plus it lets me forge ahead - fearlessly. I can sleep at night.
I dont have windows 7 on my studio Pc. I'm completely reformatting and then installing fresh....One other thing i was wondering... I have PT Le 7.4 running on Windows xp still...i bought the "crossgrade" from le to 9....does that mean i have to have 7.4 on Windows 7 in order to perform the crossgrade? cause to my knowledge Windows 7 and PT 7.4 aren't compatible or maybe its my 003 that wouldnt work...i tried it awhile back and couldn't figure it out...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidood View Post
i bought the "crossgrade" from le to 9....does that mean i have to have 7.4 on Windows 7 in order to perform the crossgrade?
No. you would have to uninstall 7.4 anyway. Just load up 9, and your iLok will auth it for you.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
No. you would have to uninstall 7.4 anyway. Just load up 9, and your iLok will auth it for you.
thank you..thats exactly what i wanted to read...lol
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM

before installing PT9 be sure to READ THE DIRECTIONS. Install your updated drivers FIRST.
Driver Downloads and Updates for Pro Tools 9 and 8

Before installing do at least most of the W7 opts.

Avid Windows 7 Optimizations Video Playlist - YouTube

Windows 7 Optimizations

And you should update to 9.0.2 as well, which is free for PT9 owners.

Pro Tools 9.0.2 Update

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Just my experience....

Make sure you use Windows 7 64bit, I have found it far more stable than 32bit and Protools can access the full 4gb on my system without falling over at the 3gb limit (although I recently found that there might be a /4 switch you can use to get 32bit to use more of the 4gb ram)

But yes I haven't had issues since going to 64bit.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 AM

I have downloaded it last nite and ran with it!!! I swear there hasn't been a single problem so far. I haven't pushed it yet, But ran rewire, loaded up a lot of auxes, EQs, and Compressors, and it was silky smooth. It seems faster to me,especially when loading a plug while recording. As long as you do it right, make sure you uninstall (and restart) then install (The audio drivers first, then PT9), and then restart after each one of those. Also before any of that, make sure the license is transferred to your iLok (Use IE as your browser as FF has some problems from what I've heard). But I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits with 4GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad 6700, and ran the audio drive off a WD 640GB drive (I'm formatting a new 1TB drive now I'll let you know how it goes!).

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
I have downloaded it last nite and ran with it!!! I swear there hasn't been a single problem so far. I haven't pushed it yet, But ran rewire, loaded up a lot of auxes, EQs, and Compressors, and it was silky smooth. It seems faster to me,especially when loading a plug while recording. As long as you do it right, make sure you uninstall (and restart) then install (The audio drivers first, then PT9), and then restart after each one of those. Also before any of that, make sure the license is transferred to your iLok (Use IE as your browser as FF has some problems from what I've heard). But I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits with 4GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad 6700, and ran the audio drive off a WD 640GB drive (I'm formatting a new 1TB drive now I'll let you know how it goes!).
Internet explorer hey? I never use it as usually i have problems with it. i'll remember that tho. As for uninstalling..the best part of this , is i dont have to uninstall anything due to just putting the fresh copy of Windows 7 on my machine. Im loading the crossgrade fresh...on a fresh copy of Windows 7 pro 64 bit... Thanks for the tips tho...I'm doing this tonight and crossing my fingers that everything goes according to plan...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaysuk View Post
Just my experience....

Make sure you use Windows 7 64bit, I have found it far more stable than 32bit and Protools can access the full 4gb on my system without falling over at the 3gb limit (although I recently found that there might be a /4 switch you can use to get 32bit to use more of the 4gb ram)

But yes I haven't had issues since going to 64bit.
Even before any of that, verify your system board chipset supports RAM above 4GB.

Mine does not but I still went 64-Bit.

Patrick