How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Post Please help me choose between a 13 in and a 15 in MacBook Pro

Hello, everyone!

In about two weeks, I'm going to buy a new computer. I'll also be putting buying a new Mbox and PT 9 to go with it. I'm a songwriter but I've made jingles for the Mexican TV market as well as many songs and I've done perfectly well with my 2008-2009 20-inch 2.4 GHz iMac Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB of RAM and, *gasp*, always using the internal drive without a problem.

I'm in between buying a 13-inch Intel Core i7 Dual Core 2.7 GHz MBP or the 15-in Intel Core i7 Quad-core MBP. Due to the money this'll cost, I'll be sticking to 4 GB of RAM for the time being but I already know that I can make do with the limitations my equipment might have, as long as I KNOW that the equipment CAN WORK within its limitations perfectly well.

1) Which computer would be enough? As far as screen size is concerned, would the 15 be too much or the 13 not enough, or vice versa? I tracked a whole album worth of guitars in 2007 with my little iBook G4 with 768 of RAM, so I can work just fine within limitations, although, of course, now I would be using plugs like Amplitube (which I kinda love).

2) What about the actual processor power of the computer, dual core vs. quad-core. I'd like to buy some East/West instruments later on, as well as continue to use the IK multimedia stuff I have, Reason 3 (or maybe get the "new" one). Oh, and btw, I NEVER use powerhungry reverbs. I've always stuck to what comes with PT and have never been disappointed :)

3) Any other suggestions you have, I'll welcome. I'm buying the new computer in about two weeks and would like to be able to use this time to really think about what I'm going to get. I'm an information-gathering junkie, so I tend to do countless hours of research prior to buying a piece of equipment and it's worked. I'm usually very happy with what I buy, be it a computer, a piece of software, an instrument or microphone, etc.

Thank you all very much and I appreciate any and all help and/or points of view.

Serge

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Please help me choose between a 13 in and a 15 in MacBook Pro

If I were you, I would definitely go with the 15 inch Quad Core model. It'll be a better machine for you in the long run, and the extra screen size will be a real asset. A 15 inch is a nice compromise between screen real estate and portability. The new Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros are real powerhouses, so I don't think you'll be disappointed with running VI's and plugins like Amplitube. If your budget can stretch it, get the 15 inch quad core and don't look back.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Went through the same decision last week......

Tried the 13 first.... nice machine. Fairly easy to load the dual core to the point where fans kicked on pretty hard (happens at about 30 to 40% load.

Tried the base 15....... more than 2X the raw horsepower! Load protools with the same session as the i7, less than 1/2 the load (less than 25% system loading for half a dozen VI's and 55 dverbs...) and as such no fans....... From a Geekbench point of view (for whatever you think that is worth), this thing is within 10% of my Mac Pro!!

Google appleinsider and you will see the base model 15 can be yours for ~ the same price as walking into the Apple store and buying a 13 i7 with tax......

Needless to say, I kept the 15........

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 PM

For me the decision was simple. I needed a very portable rig that can bring back and forth between studios I work at and my mac pro at my home base.

For me, portability was the #1 consideration so the 13in was my choice hands down. I can do basic editing and run a good amount of plugs as well working with several tracks @ 24/96.

Like other I tested all 3 models before buying.

Everything about your questions though, suggest you should go with the 15. It is a 'faster' comp and offer you more screen real estate (I need to use spaces quite often on mine).

Since you seem to be in the market for a desktop replacement and not really concerned with portability, I would def go with the 15.

Good luck!
--
Mac Book Pro 13in 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (Mid 2010)
4GB 1066MHz DDR3
Mac OS X v10.7.4

Pro Tools 9.0.3
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Good advice above. The 13 is much more portable (to me)...... I really wanted this one but this machine for me stays put 90% of the time....... and keeping the fans off was more important (again for me)......

Good luck.....
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 03-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Thank you guys very much for your help! I'm starting to see things a bit clearer now and your help is invaluable.

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM

If you are going to use FireWire Recording Interfaces take note:

I have been trying to get a new MBP 15" running Pro Tools 9.x to work with a ProFire 2626 and various FireWire hard drives for several weeks and have concluded that

- the FireWire Recording Interface should have its own port.

That means

-no FireWire port available on the 15" MBP for hard drives.

As of a couple of days ago the cheapest Thunderport Drive available was $1000 and nobody has even announced a Thunderport to Firewire Adapter.

So, I somehow have to get a 17" MBP to get the ExpressCard slot for a FireWire or eSATA adapter.

GET THE MACBOOK PRO 17 INCH - EXPRESSCARD PORT IS INDISPENSABLE WHEN USING FIREWIRE RECORDING INTERFACES!!

SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TROUBLE.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1771 View Post
If you are going to use FireWire Recording Interfaces take note:

I have been trying to get a new MBP 15" running Pro Tools 9.x to work with a ProFire 2626 and various FireWire hard drives for several weeks and have concluded that

- the FireWire Recording Interface should have its own port.

That means

-no FireWire port available on the 15" MBP for hard drives.

As of a couple of days ago the cheapest Thunderport Drive available was $1000 and nobody has even announced a Thunderport to Firewire Adapter.

So, I somehow have to get a 17" MBP to get the ExpressCard slot for a FireWire or eSATA adapter.

GET THE MACBOOK PRO 17 INCH - EXPRESSCARD PORT IS INDISPENSABLE WHEN USING FIREWIRE RECORDING INTERFACES!!

SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TROUBLE.

This is blatantly untrue.
I am happily using an 2011 iMac and a 2010 13" mpb without any problems by daisy chaining audio interface and firewire hd's.
And save your caps for someplace else, please.