Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Dear Avid

Dear Avid: i'm sure you're working on the next version of ProTools and adding some exciting new features for all of us to use. And that's great! But there's only one feature that many of us request from the bottom of our hearts: make Pro Tools stable!! There's just too many unexplained shutdowns and other hangups that completely disrupt the workflow. And when you're under deadline, the last thing you have time to do is troubleshoot. So please, I'm begging you, hear what we're saying. Make Pro Tools stable. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Dear Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Dear Avid: i'm sure you're working on the next version of ProTools and adding some exciting new features for all of us to use. And that's great! But there's only one feature that many of us request from the bottom of our hearts: make Pro Tools stable!! There's just too many unexplained shutdowns and other hangups that completely disrupt the workflow. And when you're under deadline, the last thing you have time to do is troubleshoot. So please, I'm begging you, hear what we're saying. Make Pro Tools stable. Thank you!!

+1
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 PM

+1
A stable Audio Engine without unexpected errors and strange CPU Peaks.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Donald, with all due respect, maybe it's something on your end. I've got three systems running; crashes rarely happen; weirdness rarely happens. So what is the difference that makes my systems run fine and yours not?

I'm on Macs. HD Native card in one and HDX in the other. Native Thunderbolt for the third. PT 12.8. Yosemite or Sierra; doesn't matter. A ton of plug ins. Video engine running fine.

When I see people with ProTools problems, I wonder if it's the ProTools or the system or whatever.

Just letting you know that some here are running perfectly. If I can help you troubleshoot, let me know.

Last edited by johnnyv; 07-23-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:08 PM

This will be the 6th time we have created this thread, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

PS - Since you're a heavy VI user, almost any other DAW would be more stable.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Donald, with all due respect, maybe it's something on your end. I've got three systems running; crashes rarely happen; weirdness rarely happens. So what is the difference that makes my systems run fine and yours not?

I'm on Macs. HD Native card in one and HDX in the other. Native Thunderbolt for the third. PT 12.8. Yosemite or Sierra; doesn't matter. A ton of plug ins. Video engine running fine.

When I see people with ProTools problems, I wonder if it's the ProTools or the system or whatever.

Just letting you know that some here are running perfectly. If I can help you troubleshoot, let me know.
With all due respect johnnyv, everyone's rig is different and it's quiet useless stating that your rig/s are stable in this thread. No two people are going to have the same rig so whats your point? The majority of people here are having problems with stability. Audio Engine or Video Engine (Though I would say most have problems with Video). People have their rigs set up the way they are for their own reasons. Mostly because of cash flow.

So to jump on and state your rig is stable is kind of useless and somewhat annoying. Then to question the way people have set their systems up is kind of rude.

The fact of the matter is (And no one can argue with this); is that from Pro Tools 11 onwards it has been unstable and has had midi issues. End of story. And while we like cool new things, most of us just want to crack on and get the job out the door so our clients are happy; and we can get paid.

Being on a perpetual licence and paying money EVERY year with instability is very upsetting.

So thanks and glad your rig/s are so stable; good on you. You can carry on and no need for the forums.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 PM

The DUC is like watching Groundhog Day.

Hopefully one day we won't have to have threads like this.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:17 AM

threads like this show that things are working perfectly for avid: releasing buggy software all the years, very little new features (buggy too) and then there are more and more users that are willing to pay for bugfixes only

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The DUC is like watching Groundhog Day.

Hopefully one day we won't have to have threads like this.

Hopefully we will have posts at all one day. The way things are moving now - PT Users are jumping ship like crazy. Where about 50% of my colleagues used to be on PT - 100% are now using other solutions - due to the very topic of this here little thread !
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 AM

I too had to go back to 12.7.0. 12.8 just was not good. Performance was decent, but it froze a lot. And sometimes it would come out of the freeze on it's own after a minute, but most times I had to do a force quit. 12.7.0 is great!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15